The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

help a brother find accommodation. in a sticky situation, hear me out.

i am looking to move into nottingham from london in september. i did my undergrad at surrey, my postgrad at UCL (london) and will start work in nottingham. basically, i have found a bunch of "VIP lifestyle" studios for ridiculously low prices (compared to london) that are really close to work, but the problem is they specifically mention that they're for students; on september, i will no longer be a student. there are other studios, but the student ones seem to be the best by a good margin and are like 5-10 minute walk from my work.

i really don't want to move from central london to a sh*tty, isolated 1-man flat in a city where i don't know anybody. i quite like the student vibe - i can get back home after work, find new smoking buddies, meet interesting people and generally just enjoy the bum life for the remainder of the day. i do not want to be in professional mode 24/7. i want it to feel like i'm partially in university again - but this time i won't be doing assignments, exams etc. and will be on a fat salary.

i have 3 options:
a) pray that the landlords are retarded and apply as a student (my status as a student expires September 26th). i noticed that some of the application forms allow you to select any university in the country lol.

b) fake a letter proving that i'm a student at nottingham uni (i know somebody at the university i'll ask for their 'proof of study' letter and see what i can do) - do they call the university to verify?

c) find accommodation that isn't specifically for students, but has students (or young people in general). the main thing here is that i will have my own flat, surrounded by other flats in the same building.

in the case of option c), can anybody give me some reccommendations (ideally no further than 20 minute walk to nottingham rail station)? i really don't want to resort to living on top of a corner shop by myself in the slums of nottingham, that is how people end up committing suicide. any insight is appreciated.
i booked a studio and when we asked if we can share they said we could and THEN we said can we share with someone who is not studying (like placement or work) and they said yes (but would have to pay council tax). so you could ask them it lace market studios. They told me it will open in September so it looks brand new. They don't have parking though :frown:
if it works you owe me a drink :smile:
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
what do you mean sharing a studio? aren't all studios 1-manners? lace market studios is exactly what inspired this post.
Original post by Penus
i am looking to move into nottingham from london in september. i did my undergrad at surrey, my postgrad at UCL (london) and will start work in nottingham. basically, i have found a bunch of "VIP lifestyle" studios for ridiculously low prices (compared to london) that are really close to work, but the problem is they specifically mention that they're for students; on september, i will no longer be a student. there are other studios, but the student ones seem to be the best by a good margin and are like 5-10 minute walk from my work.

i really don't want to move from central london to a sh*tty, isolated 1-man flat in a city where i don't know anybody. i quite like the student vibe - i can get back home after work, find new smoking buddies, meet interesting people and generally just enjoy the bum life for the remainder of the day. i do not want to be in professional mode 24/7. i want it to feel like i'm partially in university again - but this time i won't be doing assignments, exams etc. and will be on a fat salary.

i have 3 options:
a) pray that the landlords are retarded and apply as a student (my status as a student expires September 26th). i noticed that some of the application forms allow you to select any university in the country lol.

b) fake a letter proving that i'm a student at nottingham uni (i know somebody at the university i'll ask for their 'proof of study' letter and see what i can do) - do they call the university to verify?

c) find accommodation that isn't specifically for students, but has students (or young people in general). the main thing here is that i will have my own flat, surrounded by other flats in the same building.

in the case of option c), can anybody give me some reccommendations (ideally no further than 20 minute walk to nottingham rail station)? i really don't want to resort to living on top of a corner shop by myself in the slums of nottingham, that is how people end up committing suicide. any insight is appreciated.

Hello dude,

I completely feel your vibe. Me and my buddy are going to start our Master's this September and we're looking for more people to join us in a chill place. We've already got a few houses in our sights and the owners don't mind if its inhabited by students or professionals. I understand how you feel, especially since i started working a day after finishing Undergrad but i continued to stay with my college juniors since i didn't want to feel like a suit 24/7. I would love a smoking buddy and a fellow ent is always welcome. The houses i've shortlisted all have a beautiful garden, as i believe that a house needs an open area that extends beyond simply being trapped inside the 4 walls. (studios suck!). Let me know if this interests you.

Peace.
Original post by Penus
what do you mean sharing a studio? aren't all studios 1-manners? lace market studios is exactly what inspired this post.

nooooo she has one studio and i have one studio. they can be one manners or one womanners!

I'm not sure what inspired the lace market? don't worry I was only trying to help. good luck in your search!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending