The Student Room Group

I’m an IBM apprentice – what made me decide University wasn’t for me?

Hi Everyone :dance:

The next step after college is always a tricky decision. Teachers, Parents and
Councillors are constantly asking what you want to do when you are older :dontknow:. Being 18 and having to make a decision that can affect your life is a lot of pressure.

I faced the same struggles but I made the choice to go against the tides and pick an apprenticeship rather than the typical route of University. Out of my whole tutor group at college only 3 people, including me, were doing something other than Uni so it can be a hard choice to make. I am not here to bash Uni it is a good option for some people, just not me.

From when I was little, I liked the idea of earning money rather than having to pay to learn; but when getting older the idea of apprenticeships went away. But one week in February in my first year of college IBM came to our school to talk about their Apprenticeship scheme, and that same week I was going to look around Bath Uni. Just seeing both options next to each other I was clearly able to see the path I wanted to take. With an Apprenticeship at IBM I was able to earn while I learn, make a difference in a developing world of technology; get to work at one of the largest technology companies in the world, and still get a qualification that is worth a first year at degree level. So I can prove I could have gone to University but I just Chose to create my future a different way.

Don't be bogged down by this decision even if you choose one path now you don't have to stick to it. But don't feel you have to follow the crowd there is a lot of other options out there, you just have to look. :yes:

If you have any questions regarding the Apprenticeship scheme at IBM or choosing what to do, feel free to ask.

Good Luck.

Amy :smile:
Original post by IBM Apprentices

Councillors are constantly asking what you want to do when you are older :dontknow:. Being 18 and having to make a decision that can affect your life is a lot of pressure.

I faced the same struggles but I made the choice to go against the tides and pick an apprenticeship rather than the typical route of University. Out of my whole tutor group at college only 3 people, including me, were doing something other than Uni so it can be a hard choice to make. I am not here to bash Uni it is a good option for some people, just not me.

From when I was little, I liked the idea of earning money rather than having to pay to learn; but when getting older the idea of apprenticeships went away. But one week in February in my first year of college IBM came to our school to talk about their Apprenticeship scheme, and that same week I was going to look around Bath Uni. Just seeing both options next to each other I was clearly able to see the path I wanted to take. With an Apprenticeship at IBM I was able to earn while I learn, make a difference in a developing world of technology; get to work at one of the largest technology companies in the world, and still get a qualification that is worth a first year at degree level. So I can prove I could have gone to University but I just Chose to create my future a different way.

Don't be bogged down by this decision even if you choose one path now you don't have to stick to it. But don't feel you have to follow the crowd there is a lot of other options out there, you just have to look. :yes:

If you have any questions regarding the Apprenticeship scheme at IBM or choosing what to do, feel free to ask.

Good Luck.

Whats your IBM apprenticeship like and how do you apply?

Good Luck.

What were the academic requirements to do this?
(edited 7 years ago)

Good Luck.

Do IBM offer sponsored degrees or Work Experience for students in Year 12?
Original post by APersonYo
Whats your IBM apprenticeship like and how do you apply?

Hi APersonYo

Doing my apprenticeship has been great. I have been treated like an IBMer from day one. I have been given responsibility, talked to all sorts of people, including executives. I have shadowed one for a day and I have been personally thanked by one of the others on my project. I have never been stopped doing something because I am an apprentice and I have been given the same opportunities as everyone else, if not more because of being in Foundation you get access to more learning and courses. Actually gaining the qualification I have been completing journals for evidence for my qualification and its a chance to say what you do everyday on my project, don't worry about that though you have a course to explain it all.

Doing the apprenticeship will give you the same opportunities, you just have to try.

To apply
http://www-05.ibm.com/employment/uk/school-leavers/apply_now.shtml
Applications are closed at the moment but should re-open soon. But you have to fill out a CV asking for experiences that you use certain attributes.
If you pass the academic requirements, which is 160 UCAS points, you have to complete an IPAT test. Passing that they will look at your CV and invite you to an Assessment day/ interview.

Hope this answered your questions,

Original post by Someboady
Do IBM offer sponsored degrees or Work Experience for students in Year 12?

Hi Someboady;

IBM have just started a Degree Apprentice program where you go to work a few days a week and go to uni the other days. IBM and the government pay, so you wont lose a penny and you end up with a degree and experience at the end of it.

I don't know about work experience but they do offer a Gap year programs before and during uni.

Hope this helped

Original post by null.and.void.
What were the academic requirements to do this?

Hi null.and.void;

The academic requirements is 160 UCAS points, which is two Cs, or two Ds and an E. (I got B,D,D)

Also they don't care what you got it in. So you don't have to do maths, computing or business. You can do anything you enjoy.

Its more about the person you are than the grades that you can achieve.

Hope this helped.

Hi Someboady;

IBM have just started a Degree Apprentice program where you go to work a few days a week and go to uni the other days. IBM and the government pay, so you wont lose a penny and you end up with a degree and experience at the end of it.

I don't know about work experience but they do offer a Gap year programs before and during uni.

Hope this helped

How do you sign up for this degree apprenticeship program? That sounds like something I would like to do
Original post by APersonYo
How do you sign up for this degree apprenticeship program? That sounds like something I would like to do

Hi APersonYo;

To apply for the degree apprenticeship you have to apply for the normal apprenticeship first and if your UCAS points meet the requirements for the degree you can ask to apply for the degree. The UCAS points are the requirements for the University, which at the moment is Queen Marys in London.

Hope that helps

Reply 9
Is it too late to apply for the Gap Year program starting this August/September. I'm having second thoughts about going uni this year and what to take a yr out.
Reply 10
What would be the entry requirements for the degree course, as neither queen marys or ibm seem to list it on their website
Original post by SalPKhan
Is it too late to apply for the Gap Year program starting this August/September. I'm having second thoughts about going uni this year and what to take a yr out.

Hi SalPKhan;

The applications on the website are closed but you can register your interest and they will let you know when the applications are re-opened.
http://www-05.ibm.com/employment/uk/school-leavers/apply_now.shtml

If you do decided to go to uni this year they do offer a year in industry as well, so it would be a year out during you degree. If you want to know more there is IBM UK Careers on the student room who know more in detail about these schemes.

Hope this helped.

Original post by ibox55
What would be the entry requirements for the degree course, as neither queen marys or ibm seem to list it on their website

Hi ibox55;

The entry requirements, from the last I heard, are ABB which is about 240 UCAS points.

Hope this helps

Hello Amy, Recently I have been very interested in the IBM Apprenticeship and just a bit confused about when you can apply for the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship for September 2019. Also, how was your experience on getting into the Apprenticeship and what is your dad to day duties?What was the interviewing process like?
Original post by #Overwatch#$$
Hello Amy, Recently I have been very interested in the IBM Apprenticeship and just a bit confused about when you can apply for the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship for September 2019. Also, how was your experience on getting into the Apprenticeship and what is your dad to day duties?What was the interviewing process like?

Hi,

Perhaps I can answer this one!

I'm currently employed by IBM on the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship and I joined in August 2018.

Unfortunately, I can't answer when you'll be able to apply for that program but you can register your interest.

During the hiring process, you'll go through various different stages including an Assessment Centre. To my understanding, I can't go into too much detail but it goes like this:

Initial Application Online > Online Testing (IPAT Test & WSI Test) > Video Interview & Application Form Review > Assessment Centre > Final Interview(s)

IBM will email you advice & guidance for each stage as you progress so you won't be going into it blind.

As for my experience, I can tell you that, compared to most employers, the process is very straightforward and the people involved are extremely helpful. They'll make you feel as comfortable as possible during the Assessment Centre and final interviews and you'll meet lots of people on the way. I applied in March 2018 and accepted my Job Offer in May 2018.

I currently work on a confidential account so I cannot discuss a lot regarding my role. However, I am a Transition Manager and my responsibilities involve project management, constant communication and risk management. As part of the degree program, I go to University every Friday to take part in seminars. I enjoy my day to day and I believe IBM is one the top employers & apprenticeship providers which you can apply for.

If you still are planning on applying for the IBM Apprenticeship, good luck! :smile:
Original post by AndreasWMacrides
Hi,

Perhaps I can answer this one!

I'm currently employed by IBM on the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship and I joined in August 2018.

Unfortunately, I can't answer when you'll be able to apply for that program but you can register your interest.

During the hiring process, you'll go through various different stages including an Assessment Centre. To my understanding, I can't go into too much detail but it goes like this:

Initial Application Online > Online Testing (IPAT Test & WSI Test) > Video Interview & Application Form Review > Assessment Centre > Final Interview(s)

IBM will email you advice & guidance for each stage as you progress so you won't be going into it blind.

As for my experience, I can tell you that, compared to most employers, the process is very straightforward and the people involved are extremely helpful. They'll make you feel as comfortable as possible during the Assessment Centre and final interviews and you'll meet lots of people on the way. I applied in March 2018 and accepted my Job Offer in May 2018.

I currently work on a confidential account so I cannot discuss a lot regarding my role. However, I am a Transition Manager and my responsibilities involve project management, constant communication and risk management. As part of the degree program, I go to University every Friday to take part in seminars. I enjoy my day to day and I believe IBM is one the top employers & apprenticeship providers which you can apply for.

If you still are planning on applying for the IBM Apprenticeship, good luck! :smile:

Hi, I am applying to this scheme. May i please ask how the assessment centre and interview were like>]? wat sort of questions did u get? and for the recorded interview also?
Original post by ahmedmerchant
Hi, I am applying to this scheme. May i please ask how the assessment centre and interview were like>]? wat sort of questions did u get? and for the recorded interview also?

@IBM UK Careers probably worth responding to this one just in case :smile:
Hi there! The IBM assessment centre is broken down into 3 parts -

1. Group Discussion Exercise - you will given a topic in a group of around 6 candidates to discuss
2. Group Logic Exercise - you will work in a different group of 6 to solve a problem (there is correct answer, but you don't need to solve it to pass - the most important part is how you work in a team!)
3. Indiviual interview/presentation - this is a one-one interview with a early professional manager where you will present a pre-prepared presentation and talk through your application form (nothing to be anxious over!)

If you pass the assessment centre you will also be invited to a matching business interview with a hiring manager who has a role available - make sure to have a list of questions to ask the manager!

Before the assessment centre you will need to complete an application form and video interview. Both focus on IBMs competencies (e.g. passion for business, communication, teamwork). The recorded interview will consist of 3 questions and you have unlimited time to prepare and up to 3 minutes to record each one.

I hope this helps! Melissa :smile:
Original post by ahmedmerchant

Quick Reply