The Student Room Group

CV help please - to not want to put being a Prefect on my CV?

I'm writing out a CV to try and get any part time job or summer job since I've left sixth form atm and about to start college next year, so I want to try and earn some cash perhaps for driving lessons and summer in general.

I've just been formatting my CV etc, but I came to a dilemma concerning of which responsibilities etc, the only things I've done in school concerning that is being a student librarian - helping out in the student librarian team for about 3 years, and being a prefect. Thing is I feel awkward about putting being a prefect on my CV because if they asked me what my responsibilities were in that position I wouldn't be able to answer them.

All we did at school when we became a prefect was nothing. Nothing. Pretty much all we did was wear the actual badge - the only thing I can remember was attending a couple of meetings, helping out at one open evenings for the school, and actually applying for the position. That's why I don't really want to put it on my CV - or should I put it on anyway?

Since then I've helped out at one or two open evenings in the school and sixth form I go to - can I put that on my CV?

Would not putting prefect on my CV hinder me that much even though I was one? I'd like to put it on but if employers etc asked I wouldn't be able to say much about what I did... I think part the reason was there was a lot of prefects and some people like me got ignored cos there was a hierarchy of popularity...

Thanks for the help :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by bizzy_penguin
I'm writing out a CV to try and get any part time job or summer job since I've left sixth form atm and about to start college next year, so I want to try and earn some cash perhaps for driving lessons and summer in general.

I've just been formatting my CV etc, but I came to a dilemma concerning of which responsibilities etc, the only things I've done in school concerning that is being a student librarian - helping out in the student librarian team for about 3 years, and being a prefect. Thing is I feel awkward about putting being a prefect on my CV because if they asked me what my responsibilities were in that position I wouldn't be able to answer them.

All we did at school when we became a prefect was nothing. Nothing. Pretty much all we did was wear the actual badge - the only thing I can remember was attending a couple of meetings, helping out at one open evenings for the school, and actually applying for the position. That's why I don't really want to put it on my CV - or should I put it on anyway?

Since then I've helped out at one or two open evenings in the school and sixth form I go to - can I put that on my CV?

Would not putting prefect on my CV hinder me that much even though I was one? I'd like to put it on but if employers etc asked I wouldn't be able to say much about what I did... I think part the reason was there was a lot of prefects and some people like me got ignored cos there was a hierarchy of popularity...

Thanks for the help :smile:

Spoiler

If you can't list responsibilities,i would leave it off and go into more detail about your being a student librarian.
Original post by claireestelle
If you can't list responsibilities,i would leave it off and go into more detail about your being a student librarian.

Cheers for the help - I couldn't really think anything to say about it, so I'll leave it off - got tonnes to say about the other :biggrin:
What Claire said leave it off. I would also suggest keep it short and to the point, with a focus on skills.
Yes just leave being a prefect off if your school didn't give you many responsibilities.

Just focus your skills as the librarian, don't make a big list though, just add the main points :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bizzy_penguin

Spoiler

The CV Forum is a private forum, that means you can only see threads that you started - so if' you've never started one in there, it looks empty!

You are asking the wrong question. You should ask yourself what evidence you have that you have relevant skills for the job you are applying for. if anything you have done as a prefect shows a relevant skill, then you need to put a section in your CV about being a prefect. But if nothing you did as a prefect is relevant, then leave it out.

It's evidence of relevant skills that drives what events/activities are mentioned in a CV, not the activities for their own sake.
Original post by threeportdrift
The CV Forum is a private forum, that means you can only see threads that you started - so if' you've never started one in there, it looks empty!

^^^ - I didn't know that, thanks :biggrin: explains why I didn't see anything, I'm still getting used to how all the forums work etc.

You are asking the wrong question. You should ask yourself what evidence you have that you have relevant skills for the job you are applying for. if anything you have done as a prefect shows a relevant skill, then you need to put a section in your CV about being a prefect. But if nothing you did as a prefect is relevant, then leave it out.

It's evidence of relevant skills that drives what events/activities are mentioned in a CV, not the activities for their own sake.

^ I'm probably not going to add it on, since I never really did much, and I don't want an interviewer asking me questions I can't answer without elaborating on my role :smile: thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending