The Student Room Group

At what stage in meiosis does recombination occur?

In my textbook it says crossing over occurs at Prophase 1, then the actual breaking off and rejoining at chiasmata occurs during Anaphase 1. I looked this up and a few people said recombination (I assume this means the whole process of crossing over) occurs at Prophase 1. Should I just listen to the textbook or question what it says?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by GenericPerson2
In my textbook it says crossing over occurs at Prophase 1, then the actual breaking off and rejoining at chiasmata occurs during Anaphase 1. I looked this up and a few people said recombination (I assume this means the whole process of crossing over) occurs at Prophase 1. Should I just listen to the textbook or question what it says?

It only occurs at Prophase 1. Metaphase is the alignment of the chromosomes in the equator,so it would not be possible for crossing over to occur during that period.
Original post by kkboyk
It only occurs at Prophase 1. Metaphase is the alignment of the chromosomes in the equator,so it would not be possible for crossing over to occur during that period.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Also at anaphase the chromosomes are being pulled apart so they're being separated from each other.
Reply 4
Original post by GenericPerson2

I believe that during anaphase one the pulling forces resolve the cross over structure and separate it into two distinct chromosomes, ie. The resulting chromosome with genetic material from both parents

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending