The Student Room Group

A level biology circulatory system diseases+ lung diseases

Hi,
does anyone know whether or not you need to understand the different circulatory diseases e.g atheroma,thrombosis, aneurysm and myocardial infractions for as level biology. I have learnt them all of by heart already due to seeing a past paper question linked to myocardial infraction. I am only asking this because my teacher has not taught or talked about any lung diseases like tuberculosis, asthma or fibrosis nor circulatory system diseases.
also are there any good youtube channels which do course revision videos,teaching ect because as i have said my teachers not very good so ive been learning from book in my spare time since start of the year.
I am only taking mocks in biology this year, doing full a level course from 2015+
thanks for any help in advance
First of all which exam board are you with? Go to their website and look up the specification as it will explicitly state exactly what you need to learn. If it names those conditions, learn them. If it doesn't name them, I imagine they will give you application qus based on these whereby all the biology they expect you don't know will be given in the stem of the question
Reply 2
Original post by Millie-3
First of all which exam board are you with? Go to their website and look up the specification as it will explicitly state exactly what you need to learn. If it names those conditions, learn them. If it doesn't name them, I imagine they will give you application qus based on these whereby all the biology they expect you don't know will be given in the stem of the question

ok thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Millie-3

I have checked the specification for aqa and they do not say in the specification that you must know diseases related to heart and lungs
however they have previously tested with questions on lung disease which are in my revision guide. Where no information has been given in the question. You just needed to know about the disease and how it causes damage to gas exchange system
I suggest you do learn the diseases. They are often challenging questions related to them.
Reply 5
Original post by Bence9912
Hi,
does anyone know whether or not you need to understand the different circulatory diseases e.g atheroma,thrombosis, aneurysm and myocardial infractions for as level biology. I have learnt them all of by heart already due to seeing a past paper question linked to myocardial infraction. I am only asking this because my teacher has not taught or talked about any lung diseases like tuberculosis, asthma or fibrosis nor circulatory system diseases.
also are there any good youtube channels which do course revision videos,teaching ect because as i have said my teachers not very good so ive been learning from book in my spare time since start of the year.
I am only taking mocks in biology this year, doing full a level course from 2015+
thanks for any help in advance

I got this from the AQA website that explains whats you need to know for the new spec.

'What's gone
The course of infection, symptoms and transmission of pulmonary tuberculosis.

The effect of fibrosis, asthma and emphysema on lung function. Although these could be used as context for questions for the new section 3.2.2.'

You no longer need to know the effect of fibrosis, asthma and emphysema on lung function but it is very useful to know how lung diseases can affect gas exchange
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending