The Student Room Group

PhD University Ranking Importance

I've just received an offer to undertake a 3-year fully-funded PhD, and my supervisor is fantastic, I am excited about my project idea and I love the location. I've wanted to go into academia for a while, and funding in my particular area is low, so to have been offered it is some kind of miracle in and of itself.

The one misgiving I have is that the university it's based at isn't particularly reputable (not that it's terrible, but it's certainly not considered anywhere near the "top"). I'm wondering to what extent this actually matters with regards to postgrad/PhD places. My undergrad is from a very well-ranked university, and I have not been required to do a Masters for this particular course after talking to the person who is in charge of it, so I'm not too familiar with how the system works.

My options are to accept the place now or take a year out, then to apply for a masters and then to a higher-ranked university, but whether that's something that matters or not is what I'm wondering at all.
Reply 1
whats its ranking
Reply 2
Subject/Uni?
Original post by Cobalt_
Subject/Uni?

Law (Academic, not Practice), Northumbria
Original post by clonedmemories

It's not something to be ignored, but it's not as important as funding, a fantastic Supervisor and exciting project and a location you love. I'd say enjoy the greenery of the grass you've got, and don't worry about anyone else's lawn.
At PhD level your supervisor is probably the most important factor, closely followed by funding. University reputation is/should be irrelevant. It sounds like you've found the perfect combination!
A supervisor who is well respected in their field and who will actually be around is the most important factor. Mine is fantastic but i have friends who have no end of trouble because they can never get meetings with supervisors. Also in science if you are doing a phD and you arent good/decide to leave you might be switched onto a masters by research course meaning after a report/viva you can come out with a masters degree after the first year if you dont stay.
If you have funding i would think hard about it. Unless you have the money to do a masters easily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending