The Student Room Group

BBC turns down trainees because they are WHITE.

Scroll to see replies

Here's a funny idea - why don't the BBC just hire the person who's best for the position regardless of gender, sexuality, ethnicity etc.? I do find this idea that we should only have jobs for certain races, genders etc. to raise the percentage of particular groups working in an organisation incredibly patronising and completely backwards in the quest for equality.
We all know people have been abused in care. But it wasn't only by men and it wasn't all men.
I support the bbc attempt at bringing fair equality to the workplace, and boohoo to all the critiques.
If it true it is called positive (!) discrimination
Original post by WhiteMan16
Job applicants accused the BBC of racial discrimination after being turned down for roles because they are white.

The broadcaster advertised for two junior script writers on 12-month trainee schemes, one of which offered the opportunity to work on hospital drama Holby City in London.

But applicants were outraged when HR bosses replied to applications saying that they were only open to people from 'ethnic minority backgrounds'.

The corporation said the move was to address an 'under-representation of people from ethnic minority backgrounds in script editing roles'.

But one unsuccessful applicant accused them of flouting their own anti-discrimination rules by not granting him an interview based on his white ethnicity.

The 26-year-old, a media graduate, said: 'It's racial discrimination to disregard someone based on them being any race.

'It's just wrong and as far as I know it is illegal. Coming from the BBC, it's amazing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3621658/BBC-turn-trainees-WHITE-Job-applicants-stunned-told-corporation-wants-people-ethnic-minority-backgrounds.html

The people like that in the BBC will be first against the wall when the anti-cultural Marxism revolution comes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien
This is related

Doctor Who executive producer Steven Moffat said the show had "no excuse" not to feature a more diverse cast, adding it would be "amazing" for it to have two non-white lead actors.

"We decided that the new companion was going to be non-white, and that was an absolute decision, because we need to do better on that. We just have to," Moffat said. "I don't mean that we've done terribly - our guest casts are among the most diverse on television - but I feel as though I could have done better overall."

"Two non-white leads would be amazing," he said.

Moffat said the show must find new ways to get ethnic minority actors on screen in future.

"We've kind of got to tell a lie. We'll go back into history and there will be black people where, historically, there wouldn't have been, and we won't dwell on that. "We'll say, 'To hell with it, this is the imaginary, better version of the world. By believing in it, we'll summon it forth'."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36442982

How stupid. The role should go to whoever gives the best audition.

Diversity for the sake of diversity is just wrong.
Original post by MildredMalone
How stupid. The role should go to whoever gives the best audition.

Diversity for the sake of diversity is just wrong.

It may be wrong but try saying that to the leftards... :rolleyes:

There is an amusing story in today's Times. As you may know there is a big drive for "colour blind casting" in the luvvy world of the theatre and especially right on organisations like the RSC.

So naturally their current production of Hamlet at Stratford has a pretty much all black cast. That doesn't seem all that "colour blind" really, but bear with me.

Guess what problem this causes? Yep, you are right, the audience is insufficiently diverse! It is almost all white people watching this interesting take on Shakespeare's most famous tragedy. For some bizarre reason, Brixton and Lewisham haven't emptied in a mad rush up the M40 to see a black Polonius and Hamlet and Ophelia, and the "inspired" Jamaican grave digger. Who would have thought?

So crazy has the looking glass world of the lefty luvvies become that theatre audiences that go to see an all black cast are racist if they themselves are white.

It is an interesting business model the RSC is coming up with though. If your customers, the ones who pay your wages, are unsuitable, attack and abuse them.

For the unpardonable crime of being born white and liking the theatre. :wink:
Original post by Mathemagicien
To completely remove bias, and have actual equality, with no discrimination whatsoever based on race or merit, they should simply employ people by picking names out of a nationwide lottery. Heck, maybe even a worldwide lottery.

Buts its not 'fair equality' if they discriminate based on race, is it now?

Indeed it is not, but if the bbc wants to hire a small percentage of said people who fit a demographic, then I do not see a problem, when it helps to tackle a bigger problem.
If the bbc wanted to hire 30 disabled people or trans people , there would be no outcry of protests.

The employee can decide and can place rules on what the ideal candidate is, and it has been like that since day one.

The bbc will not start a trend, in which other major employers will follow suit, or maybe it will, but who knows.
(edited 7 years ago)
I can understand that they did for good reasons though. They could of allowed to apply and not hired them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending