The Student Room Group

Is revising 2 days before an exam ok?

I've errr.. somehow managed to leave my revision until now and am currently revising for exams a few days before i actually have them (GCSEs). is this usually successful? anyone experienced doing this and achieving good grades (I'm looking to achieve the best grades i can)

Scroll to see replies

I do this but I only do that as I find it difficult to remember if I revise maybe 2 weeks before :smile: It is all up to what's best for you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by student.feed
I do this but I only do that as I find it difficult to remember if I revise maybe 2 weeks before :smile: It is all up to what's best for you :smile:

thanks. and yeh i did revise for my bio exam 2-3 weeks before but it all flew out the window so i had to revise for it all over again last minute
Original post by hals
thanks. and yeh i did revise for my bio exam 2-3 weeks before but it all flew out the window so i had to revise for it all over again last minute

I have to revise 2-3 days before and then go over last minute :smile:
I would say yes it is ok. :smile:
However it also depends the amount of content you need to learn and stuff. :biggrin:
I would say go for it but remember in these 2 days you have to work hardcore and of course also take breaks,
Work 1 hour then take 5 min. break. Whatever works best for you. You have to experiment.
Original post by hals
I've errr.. somehow managed to leave my revision until now and am currently revising for exams a few days before i actually have them (GCSEs). is this usually successful? anyone experienced doing this and achieving good grades (I'm looking to achieve the best grades i can)

You can get away with this for most GCSEs provided that your 2 day revision is thorough and efficient :smile:
You can get really good grades, I did after leaving my revision late for GCSEs. That being said, revising early never did much for me as I'd end up forgetting everything and having to go over it the night before again.

As for getting the best grades you can, I'm not quite sure. I know that if I'd at least tried to save a bit more time for past paper questions and getting into a really good technique I could have done better.

Good luck. :h:
Reply 7
I have to revise 2-3 days before and then go over last minute :smile:

thank god.... i feel much more confident phew
It's GCSEs.. I revised maths on the morning of the exam day and got an A*
Original post by hals
thank god.... i feel much more confident phew

BUT.. it doesn't mean that you should slack, start revising now!!!
Reply 10
Original post by Abirella
I would say yes it is ok. :smile:
However it also depends the amount of content you need to learn and stuff. :biggrin:
I would say go for it but remember in these 2 days you have to work hardcore and of course also take breaks,
Work 1 hour then take 5 min. break. Whatever works best for you. You have to experiment.

ahahaha i feel like my whole revision life is an experiment, i keep changing it but i think that helps. currently doing the pomodoro technique. i think I'm mainly hooked to it cause i like setting the timer.

so sad i know, but i take joy in little things when the alternative is a page of words
Reply 11
yeh it's GCSEs
Reply 12
Original post by flyingpanda
You can get really good grades, I did after leaving my revision late for GCSEs. That being said, revising early never did much for me as I'd end up forgetting everything and having to go over it the night before again.

As for getting the best grades you can, I'm not quite sure. I know that if I'd at least tried to save a bit more time for past paper questions and getting into a really good technique I could have done better.

Good luck. :h:

thanks. and as for past papers....i made the most basic of plans to fit in some of those (literally on the calendar it says the subjects ill be raving on that day and a number next to it - to indicate the number of pages on the spec i have to get through)

this last minute business has worked so far for the past 8 exams I've done (for 2 english lits, geog, maths, bio, int and french)

but i have done past papers throughout the year..... ok now I'm trying to make the situation seem worse than it is
Focus on short term memory techniques in your revision, and in future you should start weeks if not months before. Depends on how good you are and whether you study well. I have a bad study technique so have to start earlier, like months in advance; yet the subjects I'm best at need only a few weeks revision. At GCSE admittedly you don't need months and months, but 2 days is much too little time depending on how good you are at the subject.
Reply 14
BUT.. it doesn't mean that you should slack, start revising now!!!

what do u think I'm doing? oh wit no I'm here on tsr. all coz i needed an unofficial mark scheme now look where i am, 2 and a bit hours later.

i feel like I'm revising when i surround my self with the knowledge...aha ok ill make my exit o.O
you should be fine :smile: just make sure that you are doing effective revision, make sure to somehow fit in some past paper questions because they can help a lot. Also, make sure you don't overwork yourself though because then regardless of how much revision you have done you won't achieve your best! I'm sure you will be fine
Original post by BirdIsWord

same here
Original post by hals
what do u think I'm doing? oh wit no I'm here on tsr. all coz i needed an unofficial mark scheme now look where i am, 2 and a bit hours later.

i feel like I'm revising when i surround my self with the knowledge...aha ok ill make my exit o.O

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
Reply 18
Original post by geolowiser
Focus on short term memory techniques in your revision, and in future you should start weeks if not months before. Depends on how good you are and whether you study well. I have a bad study technique so have to start earlier, like months in advance; yet the subjects I'm best at need only a few weeks revision. At GCSE admittedly you don't need months and months, but 2 days is much too little time depending on how good you are at the subject.

thanks for the advice. the funny thing is i DID revise months before. then i forgot. so i trend WEEKS before. that has also failed. so now I'm trying DAYS (not out of choice)
Original post by BirdIsWord

Woah.

Quick Reply

Latest