The Student Room Group

Earth Science/Geography Access Course?Please help :)))

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J3zz
Hey everyone,

I was directed to this forum from another thread I posted as it seemed more fitting to what I want really.

So basically long back story I want to go to university to study geography; however I did not take A-levels (even though my teachers encouraged me to) because I wanted to be a Vet Nurse so I (was stubborn) thought that an Animal Management course would be better suited to what I want as I thought no a-levels were related to vet nursing (always wanted to be a VN but always had geography in the back of my mind). Anyway I got into uni, loved the academic side, hated the job (7 y/o me childhood dream crushed) so I left.

So anyway.....

I'm desperate to study Geography BSc(Hons) --- I like the physical more than human but would like the broad degree overall !!! Even throughout my college course and VN degree I was contemplating if I'd made the right decision --- obviously not.

So I've applied to study Earth Science Access to HE course at a college but I haven't heard anything back! So if I never hear anything back or do not get in to the course I'm kind of screwed really.

So please does anyone have any advice or recommendations for this big predicament I am in???

Or even any experiences from earth science Access Courses to ultimately help you get a place in uni. Or any courses I will literally take anything right now XD.

Thank you.

You have asked this question multiple times over the past three months (including here in the Mature students forum) and received the same answer. :s-smilie:

You don't need to do an Access to HE (Earth Sciences) course. They are so rare that it wouldn't be feasible for any university to make them a requirement. Universities will accept Social Science or Science Access courses for a BSc Geography degree; heck most would probably even accept a Humanities-based Access course. Email the admission tutors at the universities you're interested in and ask them if you don't believe me. If you don't want to do an Access course, consider doing a foundation year. A number of universities do them, google "geography with foundation" to find a list.
Reply 2
I have had offers for 5 unis (one unconditional) for studying BSc Geology while I'm studying my Access to Science course. I know geology and geography are quite close together! As long as you have recent study in science (or humanities I guess for geog) I'm sure that will be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending