The Student Room Group

In debt

I got two mobile phone contracts out like 2 years ago and got into debt with both of them. I was under 18 at the time, I ordered them online and was unable to pay the bills and obviously the contract continued and I couldn't afford to pay.

One was with orange and the other was with t-mobile. Both were passed on to Moorcroft Debt company and I received numerous letters, especially for the orange one.

I paid off the orange one with my student loan in April, after it was passed to a further debt company and it seemed to be getting serious. I now have a tmobile one still with Moorcroft Debt although I haven't received any letters about it or phone calls, so I don't know what's going on.

My question is, I have a job at the minute and I am able to pay off the tmobile debt, I was looking at getting a student account with halifax (I currently have an account with Halifax but it's the younger persons one and it hasn't been upgraded) with an overdraft.

If both debts have been paid, I heard they remain on the credit file with a note saying they're satisfied, so would Halifax still allow me to get an overdraft?

I applied last September before the first year of uni and was told I couldn't have one because the mobile debt had came up on my file.

Also, once I've paid the tmobile debt, does anyone know how long it takes for them to update the file?

Any advice would be a great help! Thanks! xx
Reply 1
I heard Halifax are pretty strict with who they'll give an overdraft to so I don't think 2 debts will go down too well with them I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Halifax actually refused me for a student account and my credit rating is rated as good, so if you've ever had any major problems with debts then its likely you'll be refused by them
Reply 3
I agree with what the others have said, Halifax ain't gonna lend you money. Also, think seriously about whether you really think you can manage an ovedraft.
Reply 4
A few years ago my boyfriend went a few pounds into debt and was fined for this. Even though the bank even admitted fault and cancelled the fine, because of this he was refused a Halifax account. So I'd say it'd be pretty much impossible to get an overdraft with Halifax if the debt's recent.
Reply 5
Crazy thing is i heard that anything like that stays on your credit file for 6 yrs
Reply 6
PilotClaire
I got two mobile phone contracts out like 2 years ago and got into debt with both of them. I was under 18 at the time, I ordered them online and was unable to pay the bills and obviously the contract continued and I couldn't afford to pay.

You can't take out a mobile phone contract if you're under 18...
hah, the halifax are horrible.... i have a saga but it's dull.... basically, i'm financially responsible, banked with them since i was a kid. ended up 14p overdrawn as a result of their error, they tried to charge me over £80 in fees which were eventually recovered. and yeah, that'll be on my file for another x years. you might stand a chance if you go to a nicer bank.... the rbs have been really good to me and i'd highly recommend them as a bank. leave the halifax well alone....
Reply 8
If you can prove that you took it out before you were 18 then you aren't liable for the debts and you can have any defaults removed from your credit rating.
Reply 9
bright star
hah, the halifax are horrible.... i have a saga but it's dull.... basically, i'm financially responsible, banked with them since i was a kid. ended up 14p overdrawn as a result of their error, they tried to charge me over £80 in fees which were eventually recovered. and yeah, that'll be on my file for another x years. you might stand a chance if you go to a nicer bank.... the rbs have been really good to me and i'd highly recommend them as a bank. leave the halifax well alone....

Halifax are owned and run by RBS
hah, well they're nice and halifax aren't!!! my branch phone me instead of charging me..... i have friends with halifax, they still get **** from them so it wasn;t a one off.....
Reply 11
Jules123
Crazy thing is i heard that anything like that stays on your credit file for 6 yrs

Yes defaults do stay on your credit file for 6 years.
Reply 12
Gemz87
Halifax are owned and run by RBS

I hate to butt in but halifax are owned and run by HBOS (halifax bank of scotland)
I only know this cos i worked for them.
I think RBS are fab, i just upgraded my account to a student account with no hassles, and iv got not so a good a payment history! although i never applied for an OD, i really dont want one though! just all the benefits that come with the account.
bear in mind applying for an account will show up on ur credit file as a search and u dont want too many of them in a year, i was told by my bank no more than 6 at the absolute max in a year, so be sure before u apply!

hope this helps! :smile:
oh of course i knew that!! it's bank of scotland that are halifax! ROYAL bank of scotland aren't.... i love the rbs they rock my world....
Reply 14
Now I'm confused then, because I bank with IF (owned by Halifax) and all their stuff is marked RBS ??
snu
You can't take out a mobile phone contract if you're under 18...

this is very true, conter sue for not using proper security checks and report them for miss selling in first place. hey ho debt gone!!!
Reply 16
clair bsc hons
this is very true, conter sue for not using proper security checks and report them for miss selling in first place. hey ho debt gone!!!

but if the OP stated their age as over 18, they'd then get done for fraud instead. Which is worse...

Latest

Trending

Trending