The Student Room Group

Is 6.8 units of alcohol a week to much for a 17 year old?

I'd never exceed 3 units in a day but I drink a beer on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday in a week. I'm usually drinking either Sol or San Miguel. Occasionally I'd have a few glasses of wine etc instead(special occasions only)

Why do I worry you ask? I want to make sure that I'm not drinking too much for my age. My parents approve of me drinking.
That's not enough for a good night
Reply 2
Anyone with anything helpful to say
Reply 3
Original post by BrianMcEgg
I'd never exceed 3 units in a day but I drink a beer on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday in a week. I'm usually drinking either Sol or San Miguel. Occasionally I'd have a few glasses of wine etc instead(special occasions only)

Why do I worry you ask? I want to make sure that I'm not drinking too much for my age. My parents approve of me drinking.

Drinking reguarly isn't really a good thing nomatter how much, but a single beer a few times a week isn't terrible. There are programmes to tell you how much you should keep bellow (think NHS website has one).
It does depend from person to person including by age, weight, metabolism etc, but there is a guide for how many units people should consume and it's pretty decent.

I would probably say to cut down if you can just because it would be better, but I don't think that ammount is too unusual or likely to have a large or immediate effect.

All of this is just my personal opinion and I could easily be wrong or overlooking something so I suggest you check a proper medical source like NHS. You could also ask a pharmacist or even a doctor if you want.
Reply 4
Original post by Kindred
Drinking reguarly isn't really a good thing nomatter how much, but a single beer a few times a week isn't terrible. There are programmes to tell you how much you should keep bellow (think NHS website has one).
It does depend from person to person including by age, weight, metabolism etc, but there is a guide for how many units people should consume and it's pretty decent.

I would probably say to cut down if you can just because it would be better, but I don't think that ammount is too unusual or likely to have a large or immediate effect.

All of this is just my personal opinion and I could easily be wrong or overlooking something so I suggest you check a proper medical source like NHS. You could also ask a pharmacist or even a doctor if you want.

Thank you. I tend to find that sources like the NHS are a bit too strict(everyone my age seems to drink fairly regularly and we still got the best ever GCSE results last year) so I kinda need a opinion from somebody that considers the extra details. My family have a history of being into alcohol, so is it safe to assume that genetics might cause me to handle alcohol better than everyone else or something?
Reply 5
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Thank you. I tend to find that sources like the NHS are a bit too strict(everyone my age seems to drink fairly regularly and we still got the best ever GCSE results last year) so I kinda need a opinion from somebody that considers the extra details. My family have a history of being into alcohol, so is it safe to assume that genetics might cause me to handle alcohol better than everyone else or something?

I don't think it's really a genetic thing. Some people handle their alcohol better in that they don't get as drunk but usually the physical effects are the same for everybody (not counting people with liver problems or anything like that).
Try to stick to whatever the NHS says, but inturpret it a bit too. Like you can still drink a bit more on special occasions and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest