Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

My Flatmate Didn't Know That Sex With A Drunk Girl Is Rape

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Ironic that you insinuate someone is stupid, when you're under the illusion that anyone who believes that this whole "can't consent when drunk" idea supports/commits rape :rofl:

Could also turn that around and say, if you were to cheat on your partner, and say "nope, I was drunk, so I didn't cheat - I technically couldn't consent, so I was raped" - "OK, rely on that. Just assume you'll get away with it." This is real life, getting drunk doesn't alleviate you of responsibility.
    Someone did and it went to court, thankfully they were found not guilty.

(Original post by ckingalt)
    There are cases where one party feels that consent was clearly given (and with good cause) and another party feels that consent was not given (and with good cause). That is the root of this debate. Victim's advocates would have us assume that when in doubt the accused perpetrator is guilty. That is because prosecuting in a manner more consistent with the law is too easily exploited by predators in this type of case. The law states that the accused is "innocent until PROVEN guilty." When both the victim and accused perpetrator have a reasonable interpretation of events that are contradictory with one another then the judgment should be innocent. This is based on the premise that it is a greater injustice is to incriminate an innocent than it is to deny a victim justice.
    In that situation they shouldn't be prosecuted anyway as s.1(A)(c) would mean a not guilty verdict should occur.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.