The Student Room Group

Boys paid 13% more pocket money

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36440161

This is indeed the most nefarious conspiracy I have ever come across. Shame on those who cast doubt upon the wage gap.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It seems like a cute story
Reply 2
Reply 3
The wage gap is a myth believed by those who want to be offended. See a YouTube video about the gender pay gap by Christina Hoff Sommers
Don't you think boys deserve more pocket money?
Original post by SGHD26716
The wage gap is a myth believed by those who want to be offended. See a YouTube video about the gender pay gap by Christina Hoff Sommers

How could you say that when this story so explicitly demonstrates the long and omnipotent arm of the patriar- f*ck it, I can't be arsed anymore.
Reply 6
No one should be getting pocket money anyway. If you want something, wait until your birthday or get a job.
girls dont even deserve money let alone pocket money
Original post by Trapz99
No one should be getting pocket money anyway. If you want something, wait until your birthday or get a job.

I'm a Jehovah's witness and I find your comment offensive. I think you should delete it as I have reported it.
How is this headline real... children's pocket money used as like some microcosm of adult life :facepalm: I mean yes I'm a feminist in many ways but I'm not sure what the bloody purpose in this one is the word silly comes to mind. Seems like an April fool :tongue:
EXPLANATION HERE:

Boys are far more likely to do chores such as mowing the lawn, running errands, etc, than girls so therefore get paid more.

inb4 patriarchy
Reply 11
Boys were also more likely to complain and ask for more, the survey said.

/Thread
Original post by richpanda
EXPLANATION HERE:

Boys are far more likely to do chores such as mowing the lawn, running errands, etc, than girls so therefore get paid more.

inb4 patriarchy

Plus boys spend their pocket money on more practical things.
Original post by Reue
Boys were also more likely to complain and ask for more, the survey said.

/Thread

sexist
Original post by Little Popcorns
How is this headline real... children's pocket money used as like some microcosm of adult life :facepalm: I mean yes I'm a feminist in many ways but I'm not sure what the bloody purpose in this one is the word silly comes to mind. Seems like an April fool :tongue:

You'd think Halifax will have better things to do.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Plus boys spend their pocket money on more practical things.

Exactly, parents are less likely to give their kids money if they think it's just going to get wasted on inane crap
I always find 'evidence' like this to be taken out of context.

It's interesting how our society has changed.

From initially being a place where information was limited and difficul to obtain on a meta scale. Whilst in the 21st centuary we have seen a massive proliferation of both meta and micro information to the point where we can no longer detect what is the truth, what is the lie, and what is the half-truth.

we wonder why so many people are apathetic about politics/EU referendum/global issues. I imagine that half of it is down to how there's always that extra piece of information refuting the piece of info that you have just learnt...so the cycle goes on...and on....and on....

Best regards
WHO DO YOU BLAME? There is no-one.

Boys on average tend to get more because they ask for it (the article supports that) ~ and it carries through to the workplace, with men statistically more likely to push for promotions.
An interesting study, although I would note that if it is just an average across the whole spread of ages, it's entirely possible the older end is more weighted towards boys. Older kids will typically receive more pocket money. Of course it could also be because of something completely different.
Reply 19
Never!
My dad always complains about how much my sisters "cost" him

Quick Reply

Latest