The Student Room Group

How would you rather be broken up with?

If someone breaks up with you, would you rather them be brutally honest about why (eg they cheated, they're not attracted to you...) or would you rather not know and for them to just say something generic (it's not working, I need some space...)

Personally I know I'd go with the honesty.

(not planning on breaking up with anyone btw, I just saw a thread where someone had cheated on his girlfriend and planned to break up with her, but was trying to think of a nice way to do it. It got me thinking :tongue: )
Reply 1
Hey, I think I would go with honesty as well to see what I had done wrong in that relationship.:angelwings:
Reply 2
I'd rather they were totally blunt and honest with me. It would hurt like hell, especially if it was a serious relationship and not just something casual. As the saying goes - I'd rather be hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie. You learn from the truth and that might help with future relationships as well.

I'd rather be broken up with/break up with someone face to face than over the phone or computer. Not something I ever hope to experience, especially in my current relationship.
Honesty because then I know what went wrong so whether it was on my part so how I need to (possibly) change or if it were their side.
Honesty because the person will eventually find out in the end! Imagine what it would feel like if you hadn't told them, they would question the whole of the relationship, picturing it to be just one big lie!!!
Reply 5
Avoid the period of treating you like **** in the run up to it, do it face to face, avoid any breakup cliches (I don't know what I want etc..) That's about as good as it gets. Or perhaps grant a final bonk if your feeling compassionate :tongue:
I hate passive aggressive reh teh kinda ****. Tell me straight up, I don't play games. I hate when people try to tell me what theyt hink I wanna hear, and tiptoe around me like I'm some deranged lunatic who can't make reasonable decisions when faced with pressure lol
The truth no matter how much it hurts.... I had an ex lie through her teeth about the reason why, then found out from 3 people she'd been playing away... and seemingly so for some time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending