The Student Room Group

2 Gap Years?

I've just got back from three months backpacking and really want to do it all again! I went to SE Asia but what I really wanted to do was to go around the world, but I couldn't because I didn't have enough money. I really want to go around the world, but I'm going to uni in London so am going to have absolutely HUGE debts when I come out and maybe won't have the opportunity to do it. Has anyone done like a 'double gap year' and just deferred their place for another year? It's not like I'm really in any rush to go to uni, and I am sort of having second thoughts about my degree (I'm doing chinese)

Thanks!
Reply 1
There's nothing wrong with it if you have something useful planned for it, certainly. I know a couple of people who had two gap years, one of whom worked for both of them (I think) and one who completely wasted the first one hanging round at home and is now in his second one with a job. I don't know about the first person, but the second person had a change of heart about what subject he wanted to do so he withdrew and then reapplied for a different subject. He actually did that twice.
I have had two gap years and worked right through in a Law Firm- the Uni's seem to love it as long as you are being productive because it makes you a far more rounder person than just bouncing straight to Uni from A2- plus like you say, it really gives you the time to consider which degree you want to do:smile: As long as you plan well I reckon there are tons of benefits to a couple of years out!
I'm doing 2 gap years, spent the first half of this one working in a bank and then in January went to Thailand for 5 months, trained as a professional scuba diver and am off tomorrow to work in diving for about 4 months in Greece... I've got a lot of ideas in the pipeline for my next adventures before uni in 2008 (or 2009...) and beyond.

I kinda thought a bit like you... at what other point in my life am I going to have so little responsibility where I can go and travel around the world and live the dream? Life's too short to just do what you think you should be doing rather than what you actually want to... If you want to do two gap years, then do it. =D In my adventures I met people who were twice my age and doing what I was and they were jealous because they wished they were where I am right now.

You only live one life, may as well live it, innit.

p.s. I love South East Asia... I left my heart out there.
I thinking about doing it as it looks like I've left it too late to get the type of job I want. Therefore, what's wrong with taking another one to get it right
Reply 5
Your huge debts don't have to be paid back until you start earning over 15000 so that shouldnt stop u. I am jealous llol
Reply 6
Most people take gap years after uni, out of the people that go on gap years.

Latest