The Student Room Group

What are the most useful A-Levels in general?

So I'm one of those people who don't know what they're going to take for a degree or in the future. So what A levels are considered the most useful to a lot of degrees.

I'm thinking of taking the following subjects for A levels

History
IT
Maths
And one more which I'm not sure about

Scroll to see replies

Politics, Economics, maybe Geography.
They teach you so much about how the real world functions.
Original post by LordTrickster
So I'm one of those people who don't know what they're going to take for a degree or in the future. So what A levels are considered the most useful to a lot of degrees.

History
IT
Maths

Generally, maths and science a levels allow you to do practically any degree (apart from english and stuff like that obv)
General Studies
Reply 4
Original post by BirdIsWord
Politics, Economics, maybe Geography.
They teach you so much about how the real world functions.

Not the real world stuff, for degrees in general

Oh ok, dont listen to all the people saying media studies and general studies because they're barely A levels.
STEM subjects (sciences,maths) are great in terms of a degree.
Economics and Politics are good also (PPE courses)
But it really does depend on what YOU want to study in the future.
Take Computer Science instead of IT as they have similar content but it is more respected.
Reply 7
maths and econ
The facilitating subjects are generally the most useful:

Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History, English Literature and Languages
Reply 9

If you want to pursue a degree, you have no choice but to live in the real world. Going and getting a degree isn't simple. Not trying to sound rude :redface:

On a side note I tend to find maths, chemistry and biology the most common combination of a levels. Personally i took these 3 + french at AS level
(edited 7 years ago)
Physics
or
Chemistry
Facilitating subjects are seen as the most useful: Maths, English Literature, Modern Foreign Languages, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History & Geography.
However, what is useful to you may be useful to someone else. Just do what you enjoy, and then those A Levels will be useful to you when you get a degree/a job, as you will be continuing to do stuff you like.
Reply 12
Original post by Edminzodo
Take Computer Science instead of IT as they have similar content but it is more respected.

I'm aware of that but my sixth form doesn't offer computing A level yet, they'll do that in 2 years time which is obviously too late.
History and Maths are appreciated by all universities.
Having skills in ICT like Word and Excel + other administrative knowledge is more useful than ICT A-Level I'd say.

Apart from those, everything has its own perks.
Chemistry and Biology, equally difficult, are quite good for broadening your knowledge on how systems in the scientific world work.
Economics would get you a job in the city, is the rule of thumb I've heard for a long time.
A modern foreign language can give you so many opportunities - you can take it forward as a minor at university and study abroad later on.
English Lit will expose you to the depth of language and scanning language will make you better at understanding the main points of people's arguments & similar.
Geography I would imagine you're able to demonstrate an understanding of population data, although I personally know very little about that subject.

Basically, see where your strengths are at your GCSEs. Is it in the sciences or the humanities? Some people can see a clear divide in where their strengths lie. Don't be deceived by the idea that STEM careers are better - there are many equally important jobs in collaboration and dealing with social matters. If you're an all-rounder, take a mix of both.
If you feel as though you're capable, a language is always a great extra A-Level. The exams are nothing to worry about as there is only limited revision to be done and Universities generally thrive off of them.
Maths is probably the most important for most degrees and depending on what your plans are the rest is subjective but will be the facilitating subjects.

I would say the best combination in two subjects if you are interested in STEM is maths with physics because you can go for maths related subjects, most engineering principles and then physics and other physics related degrees. You will need a third facilitating science to go into other sciences subjects.

A good full AS combination would be maths, two sciences (atleast one facilitating) and a humanities subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm aware of that but my sixth form doesn't offer computing A level yet, they'll do that in 2 years time which is obviously too late.

Oh, okay. Just bear in mind that some top universities may prefer other subjects.

History
IT
Maths

History and Maths are definitely great subjects to take. Perhaps a language and one science subject will keep your options really open and give you a broad range of skills.
Maths is definitely one of them.

Make sure you think about what you enjoy studying more than what subject is useful to study since if you enjoy a subject you are more likely to perform better in that subject.
For me, the best way to decide was to look at different university courses and their requirements + preferments. Gives you a general idea of what's needed for what interests you. Do take subjects that you know you'll enjoy and be able to cope with though.

Quick Reply

Latest