The Student Room Group

What are the biggest issues facing young people today?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daal roti hummus
You mean reps on TSR...? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That too. :tongue:
Original post by ODES_PDES
How they are going to buy a property/home

Can't wait for 10 years from now when I will be sitting on the roof of my 4 bedroom semi-detached laughing triumphantly at all the non-home owning peasants that pass by

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
These are all material problems. Real problems being faced by young people in my opinion are exploitation, mental illness, abuse, radicalisation and bullying.

To me something such as home ownership is such a fundamental prospect that i, like many of my friends already have done; would likely fall into 'real' problems such as mental illness as a result.

Furthermore exploitation could be how to describe the insane level and increase of house prices on an annual basis. The average price of property is around about 240-250k right? And the average salary is between 25-30k right? And average house prices rose nearly TEN percent last year! 10% of 240k (let's be optimistic) is 24k. And the average salary (again let's be optimistic) is 30K. So unless someone is living on super-low living costs then they're not actually any closer to buying a home despite working hard for an entire year. To me that sounds like bloody exploitation!

Don't forget that many mental illnesses, especially common ones such as depression stem from material problems, we should not be so dismissive of material problems. I would like to own more than just my mental faculties. :smile:

Best regards
Francis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RivalPlayer
Young people turn are turning a blind eye to the housing problem and seem to be more concerned with curating their digital identities.

It's gonna hit them hard in the coming decades tho.

Totally agree with you there. I'm amazed there's not more outrage about it frankly and i'm usually the last-one to get outraged by things.

However the sheer pace at which prices are picking up is truly insane to the point that someone on an average salary may not be making any and possibly even making negative equity when it comes to saving-up to buy the home.

Best regards
Francis.
Original post by Francis Urquhart
Totally agree with you there. I'm amazed there's not more outrage about it frankly and i'm usually the last-one to get outraged by things.

However the sheer pace at which prices are picking up is truly insane to the point that someone on an average salary may not be making any and possibly even making negative equity when it comes to saving-up to buy the home.

Best regards
Francis.

I make £93k year and even I find house prices in London steep.

Cannot even imagine how hopeless people on average salary must feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nidhoggr
I make £93k year and even I find house prices in London steep.

Cannot even imagine how hopeless people on average salary must feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, and yeah London is insane, long-story short, we sold a family members home in london to pay for their care, and wow, prices there are truly insane.

Best regards
Francis.
Mental illness is a big one affecting young people today
To me something such as home ownership is such a fundamental prospect that i, like many of my friends already have done; would likely fall into 'real' problems such as mental illness as a result.

Furthermore exploitation could be how to describe the insane level and increase of house prices on an annual basis. The average price of property is around about 240-250k right? And the average salary is between 25-30k right? And average house prices rose nearly TEN percent last year! 10% of 240k (let's be optimistic) is 24k. And the average salary (again let's be optimistic) is 30K. So unless someone is living on super-low living costs then they're not actually any closer to buying a home despite working hard for an entire year. To me that sounds like bloody exploitation!

Don't forget that many mental illnesses, especially common ones such as depression stem from material problems, we should not be so dismissive of material problems. I would like to own more than just my mental faculties. :smile:

Best regards
Francis.

Very true! Thanks for explaining:smile:
A looming obesity/diabetes crisis and whether there will be a NHS in the future.
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
Very true! Thanks for explaining:smile:

No problem Gaya! Hope i didn't lay it on too thick! It's just i find such a thing so shocking that the whole thing winds me into action haha!

Have a great evening!
Francis. :smile:
Original post by RivalPlayer
Most of these charmless luxury apartments that are popping everywhere in London are nothing but units for wealthy foreigners to park their money and yet no one's bothered. Parts of London are essentially being sold off to rich foreigners and British people seem to be ok with that. It's another example of Britain's infamous "tolerance".

A lot of people are happy with throwing away thousands in rent or living in their childhood bedrooms until they're 40.The gap between house prices and the average salary is only increasing. There are no rent controls in this country. Factor in population growth and the government's inability to build homes for average people and the future looks bleak.

Hi Rival! For some reason i can't rep you so i'm going to do a cheeky-reply! I totally agree with you and i feel that the supply-demand relationship in regards to housing in the UK has hit a new low!

Best regards
Francis
No problem Gaya! Hope i didn't lay it on too thick! It's just i find such a thing so shocking that the whole thing winds me into action haha!

Have a great evening!
Francis. :smile:

That's okay - totally understand getting passionate about something you care about! You too:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending