The Student Room Group

Newly passed driver insurance.....

I have my driving test booked for August and obviously I'm hoping to pass *fingers crossed*, but the question on my mind is 'what next?'. I would love to own my own car, but I have no idea how much the insurance would be. My mum has looked in to getting me put on her insurance and that would be £1700, which seems like an awful lot considering she takes the car to work every day and I would only get to use it at evening and weekends, depending on what she is doing. I know it all depends on what car I end up getting, but does anyone have a rough estimate for me? Any response would be helpful. Thanks guys!! (y)

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison. Check:
www.moneysupermarket.com
confused.com
gocompare.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)
That is a good estimate on your own car.. You'd be looking at 1500-2000 for insurance on your own car =)
Original post by princessbecca
I have my driving test booked for August and obviously I'm hoping to pass *fingers crossed*, but the question on my mind is 'what next?'. I would love to own my own car, but I have no idea how much the insurance would be. My mum has looked in to getting me put on her insurance and that would be £1700, which seems like an awful lot considering she takes the car to work every day and I would only get to use it at evening and weekends, depending on what she is doing. I know it all depends on what car I end up getting, but does anyone have a rough estimate for me? Any response would be helpful. Thanks guys!! (y)

I've recently passed and my mum and I have been looking at insurance for a corsa. The cheapest we've had has been just over £2000
Original post by princessbecca

Maybe buy insurance from an insurer that requires a black box fitted?

My insurance only cost £700 from Direct Line, but it's black box insurance. It's fully comprehensive though.
Reply 4
Original post by Peppercrunch
Maybe buy insurance from an insurer that requires a black box fitted?

My insurance only cost £700 from Direct Line, but it's black box insurance. It's fully comprehensive though.

Can I ask how you managed to get it for £700? I'm a new driver with 0 no claims and I even added a more experianced person to my policy as a name driver, and the cheapest I got from direct line was £2000?
Original post by ramo55
Can I ask how you managed to get it for £700? I'm a new driver with 0 no claims and I even added a more experianced person to my policy as a name driver, and the cheapest I got from direct line was £2000?

Was that for black box?
Reply 6
Youre definitely going to end up on black box insurance
Im thinking you should buy a dad car like a mondeo or touran, no lie, insurance for me was very cheap on them (for me anyway) and i think its because theyre usually owned by parents who dont crash them and hence there are less claims

Edit: by cheap i still mean about 1500, which is fairly cheap for the first year, especially considering the car
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ramo55

I got black box insurance, which tracks your speed etc. However, some are more intrusive than other (a.k.a raise prices if you speed a lot), which mine doesn't.

Well, I passed last August and got insurance for my 18th birthday last September. My car is a 1.2l 2011 Ford Fiesta, so it was pretty modern.

It was actually cheaper for me without a named driver. I also have a low mile limit of 6000 miles a year (I've actually only driven around 2000 miles so far).

Also, it might've been cheaper for me as a female, but I don't think they discriminate anymore.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Was that for black box?

I got black box insurance, which tracks your speed etc. However, some are more intrusive than other (a.k.a raise prices if you speed a lot), which mine doesn't.

Well, I passed last August and got insurance for my 18th birthday last September. My car is a 1.2l 2011 Ford Fiesta, so it was pretty modern.

It was actually cheaper for me without a named driver. I also have a low mile limit of 6000 miles a year (I've actually only driven around 2000 miles so far).

Also, it might've been cheaper for me as a female, but I don't think they discriminate anymore.

Yea lol, £2000 for a black box policy. I also picked 6000 miles as my limit per year. I'm also about to turn 21, and the car is a 2006 1.2l, so I can't seem to understand why on earth is the price so expensive for me?
Original post by ramo55
Yea lol, £2000 for a black box policy. I also picked 6000 miles as my limit per year. I'm also about to turn 21, and the car is a 2006 1.2l, so I can't seem to understand why on earth is the price so expensive for me?

You're only getting insurance for SDP (without commuting) right?

Hm, maybe because your car was made in 2006, it can raise the price a bit. Have you tried direct line black box insurance to see if it's any cheaper? They were the cheapest for me, and they don't show up on price comparison websites.

Also, are you paying monthly or as one lump sum? Direct debit can also be cheaper.
Reply 10
You're only getting insurance for SDP (without commuting) right?

Hm, maybe because your car was made in 2006, it can raise the price a bit. Have you tried direct line black box insurance to see if it's any cheaper? They were the cheapest for me, and they don't show up on price comparison websites.

Also, are you paying monthly or as one lump sum? Direct debit can also be cheaper.

Yea only sdp, can commuting make it cheaper? I know what you mean by the year of the car, I tried 2002 cars that are exactly the same as my 2006 and the insurance is considerably more, so they definitely do like newer cars as they are probably safer, but it kind of balances out as what you pay extra for a newer car you end up saving on the insurance price so it equals out I guess.

Yea I tried direct line, they were £560 more expensive more than the cheapest option I found so :frown:
Original post by ramo55
Yea only sdp, can commuting make it cheaper? I know what you mean by the year of the car, I tried 2002 cars that are exactly the same as my 2006 and the insurance is considerably more, so they definitely do like newer cars as they are probably safer, but it kind of balances out as what you pay extra for a newer car you end up saving on the insurance price so it equals out I guess.

Yea I tried direct line, they were £560 more expensive more than the cheapest option I found so :frown:

I think commuting makes it more expensive than SDP (I'm on SDP). I got handed down a car by my parents, so I didn't have to buy a new one.

Wow, that's a big difference, they were like £300 cheaper for me.

I think you'll have to settle for £1000+ for car insurance. :s-smilie:
Its going to be expensive no matter what. Black box or no black box its still expensive if you're a new driver with 0 years no claims and under 21. Just deal with it and pay if you want to drive. Once you get your 1NCB - you'll get a decent discount. Mine was 2200 on a 1.4l engine and I live in London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending