The Student Room Group

Typically, how many hours a week would a history student spend studying?

I'm starting a BA in History in September, at the University of Exeter -- wooo.

The question is, how many hours would a serious student, who wants to achieve good grades, spend studying per week
Obviously I know it'd be different, based on closeness to exams, and what year a student is in. I just wanted a general idea though.
Original post by jonfh1993

The question is, how many hours would a serious student, who wants to achieve good grades, spend studying per week
Obviously I know it'd be different, based on closeness to exams, and what year a student is in. I just wanted a general idea though.

Think of it as a full time job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Think of it as a full time job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly.

You are not likely to have that many hours a week taken up with lectures/seminars/tutorials, and it would be very easy to regard most of the rest of your time as being 'free' - but it isn't. Unless you want to stagger from one assignment crisis to another, you need to develop good habits early. Nobody will be checking up on you, so this is about self-discipline.

History as a course requires a lot of reading and thinking time, under your own steam. The more you do, the more you will get out of the course and the more you will enjoy it.

Original post by Minerva

You are not likely to have that many hours a week taken up with lectures/seminars/tutorials, and it would be very easy to regard most of the rest of your time as being 'free' - but it isn't. Unless you want to stagger from one assignment crisis to another, you need to develop good habits early. Nobody will be checking up on you, so this is about self-discipline.

History as a course requires a lot of reading and thinking time, under your own steam. The more you do, the more you will get out of the course and the more you will enjoy it.

Just to emphasise the point about self-discipline... I read History at York and I forced myself to get up for early lectures on Monday morning (or to go to the library if I didn't have any) no matter how heavy the weekend had been - because it made me start the week on the right foot. If I had slept in till lunchtime, or even just lounged around, then I would have spent the rest of the week in catch-up mode.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Just to emphasise the point about self-discipline... I read History at York and I forced myself to get up for early lectures on Monday morning (or to go to the library if I didn't have any) no matter how heavy the weekend had been - because it made me start the week on the right foot. If I had slept in till lunchtime, or even just lounged around, then I would have spent the rest of the week in catch-up mode.
:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending