The Student Room Group

AS biology exam technique - how not to waffle

Was wondering if anyone had any tips on how not to waffle, particularly in long answer questions. I did a past paper today and it was particularly eye opening to see that I had written over 6 lines for a questions that had a 5 word answer in the mark scheme. I've gone into all my exams knowing the content pretty well but I struggle with timing and I'm starting to think it's probably because I write waaaay too much. Any tips on how to figure out exactly what it is that you need to write down to get the marks?
Hopefully this video could help you and tell you what you need to write to get the marks...

http://tailored-tutors.teachable.com/courses/bacon-for-the-ultimate-guide-to-as-biology/lectures/948521
Original post by ShenelW
Was wondering if anyone had any tips on how not to waffle, particularly in long answer questions. I did a past paper today and it was particularly eye opening to see that I had written over 6 lines for a questions that had a 5 word answer in the mark scheme. I've gone into all my exams knowing the content pretty well but I struggle with timing and I'm starting to think it's probably because I write waaaay too much. Any tips on how to figure out exactly what it is that you need to write down to get the marks?

Hopefully this video could help you and tell you what you need to write to get the marks...

http://tailored-tutors.teachable.com/courses/bacon-for-the-ultimate-guide-to-as-biology/lectures/948521
Reply 3
Original post by ShenelW

Even though it might seem a waste of time, plan long answers before writing them. That way, you take a bit more time working out exactly what the question is asking you, so you don't just waffle and skirt around that topic. As you're writing, try to match what you're writing to the number of marks available, e.g. if its 3 marks to describe a graph, make sure you write 3 distinct points. Finally, something my teachers have always drummed into my class- don't forget your key words- sometimes you get a mark just for mentioning a word like 'ultrafiltration'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending