The Student Room Group

student bank account

so I submitted my student finance application a few weeks ago and I recently received a letter asking for my student bank account details, but I'm not 18 until July and from what I've heard I cant open a student account until I'm 18... I literally have no clue what to do.
I was told that I could just fill in the details when I turn 18 but technically I've now missed the deadline.
yeah so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
You can use the bank details of any bank account you have at the moment and then update this once you've opened a student back account after results day.

Although you've missed the deadline you should still reply to them ASAP, as you'll still get funding it's just that SFE might make the maintenance payments late due to receiving your application late.
Original post by francescabagley
so I submitted my student finance application a few weeks ago and I recently received a letter asking for my student bank account details, but I'm not 18 until July and from what I've heard I cant open a student account until I'm 18... I literally have no clue what to do.
I was told that I could just fill in the details when I turn 18 but technically I've now missed the deadline.

Lol, you can open an account at 16
Reply 3
Original post by life.of.pablo

I opened one when I was 11 😋
Original post by life.of.pablo

I have bank accounts, but they're not specifically for student loans, which you do have to be 18 to have
Reply 5
Original post by francescabagley

I reckon it's a phishing scam - do not reply to the letter. You can submit an SF application without bank account details and they don't need to be input until nearer your payment date in September. Plus you cannot get a student bank account until you have proof of a firm uni offer.

SF do not send out letters asking for your bank account details, so don't send them to whoever is asking in that letter.

You update your application online - as long as you applied online.
Hi!

As people are saying above, you can just enter your current account details and then go into your branch (once you have your uni letter stating your UNCONDITIONAL offer, probably after results day) and make your account a student account. :smile:

As people have also said above, I'd log in to the SF website and change your details there to be on the safe side. :smile:
Reply 7
Just use your current account details that's what I did. Then when you're eighteen you can go and open a student account. Depending on the bank that can be before or after results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Klix88
I reckon it's a phishing scam - do not reply to the letter. You can submit an SF application without bank account details and they don't need to be input until nearer your payment date in September. Plus you cannot get a student bank account until you have proof of a firm uni offer.

SF do not send out letters asking for your bank account details, so don't send them to whoever is asking in that letter.

You update your application online - as long as you applied online.

I didn't even think about it being a scam... I just logged onto my SF account and it says my payment is scheduled so I'm going to call them on Monday.
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending