The Student Room Group

Tell me about Sociology!

I'm considering taking Sociology AS/A-Level. :biggrin:

The course looks quite interesting and since I'm not very academic, the fact that most people say it isn't as hard as some other A-Levels really attracts me to it. I understand all A-Levels are hard but I'm also taking Biology and Psychology (which also link to sociology), and I feel Biology will be so difficult for me so I don't want to choose another A-Level which will make everything even harder.

So what is Sociology like? How hard is it? Is it enjoyable? What kind of things should I expect? Is it worth it? Tell me everything! :tongue:

(By the way, please don't preach about how it's not a 'real' subject and that it's not respected - quite frankly, I'm not aiming for doing medicine at Cambridge or anything like that, so it is irrelevant)
I do both Psychology and Sociology at A-Level (currently doing my A2 exams).

They are both really good subjects, but they both have a lot of content and despite them typically being considered 'easy' the actual overall workload makes it just as difficult and rigorous as your common STEM subjects. Both courses come with a lot of studies and research to learn and repeat in the examination and this can take a lot of time (depending on the exam board you take).

In terms of Sociology specifically, the AQA course is really good. They give you the option to choose a variety of topics and choose two that you like. (For example, i studied Families and Education at AS). The subject gives you a good insight into the real world which makes it more interesting and easier to learn in my opinion. Also, I have developed an interest for both subjects so when it comes to revision i'm not so put off by the sound of it :-).
Original post by Grovyshi
I'm considering taking Sociology AS/A-Level. :biggrin:

The course looks quite interesting and since I'm not very academic, the fact that most people say it isn't as hard as some other A-Levels really attracts me to it. I understand all A-Levels are hard but I'm also taking Biology and Psychology (which also link to sociology), and I feel Biology will be so difficult for me so I don't want to choose another A-Level which will make everything even harder.

So what is Sociology like? How hard is it? Is it enjoyable? What kind of things should I expect? Is it worth it? Tell me everything! :tongue:

(By the way, please don't preach about how it's not a 'real' subject and that it's not respected - quite frankly, I'm not aiming for doing medicine at Cambridge or anything like that, so it is irrelevant)

Hi just a couple of things.

1) I've done Families and Households and Education with Research Methods as my AS topics. Next year I'll be doing Media and Crime and Deviance with Research Methods. There are other topics on the specification such as Health, Globalisation, Culture and Identities and Beliefs in Society.
2) Sociology is incredibly interesting but more difficult than people make out.
3) It is fascinating and literally it's amazing how you do the Sociology of anything!
4) It's very content heavy and you need to learn a ton of key terms as well as sociologists to do well.
5) Definitely worth it!

Just a side note - it barely links to Psychology in reality and not at all to Biology but that doesn't mean it's not a good combination (it's a good combination). Also it is quite academic so don't be fooled by what some people say. I'd definitely recommend it - I do Psychology, Sociology and Maths but Sociology has been the most enjoyable for me this yeah! Hope this helps:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending