The Student Room Group

Cambridge English Students and Applicants

The thread for all things English, for all the Men of Letters and Lit Chicks out there! :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone! :smile: I think the English students (Englings) and offer holders need some representation, so here's a thread to chat about the course or general Englishy things. Congratulations to those with offers and good luck to those in the pool! :biggrin:

Neutral_Tones, English, Caius. :smile:

P.S. If my spelling/ grammar/ punctuation generally sucks in the course of this thread - er :redface:
Reply 2
Argh, sorry Neutral! My thread just got moved across there...*headdesk* Simultaneous thinking. Silly us.
Don't worry! Hopefully somebody clever will delete this, because it doesn't seem to let me :redface:
Hey everyone - congratulations to those with offers and good luck to those in the pool! :biggrin: I like the fact we have a cool smiley face for our thread.

Neutral_Tones, English, Caius (if I get the grades of course!)
Reply 5
I'm glad someone got round to this... I look forward to much literary discussion. And other kinds too, of course.
holy crap guys, we're five posts in and there's been little intellectual content......

someone, before they snatch our offers are snatched away.

um.....er.......arrgghhh

SHAKESPEARE RULES.

(few, thats probably bought us a few more posts.........)
Reply 7
(To be fair, most of those posts were because Neutral and I simultaneously set up English threads, which then got merged into one!).

Shakespeare rules? Nah. :p:

Intellectual content enough for yer?
Reply 8
Offer for English at Selwyn! I am so happy! Yes deep intellectual literary dicussion is needed..ummmm....here's a poem, analyse:

The cat was on the mat
The mat had squashed the hat
The rat loved the hat
So the rat hit the mat
The cat loved the mat
So the cat ate the rat

Now I know why I got in ...:P ANALYSE, PEOPLE!!
Reply 9
Gold star to that girl! :p:
Reply 10
So what's everyone looking forward to about the course? Any idea about which language you're going to take for Paper 7? :p:
Reply 11
Old English.

Old English,

Old English.

^^This is liminal messaging. You know you want to. (No, seriously!)
Reply 12
Why would they want to Old English when they could take Ancient Greek? Let's face it, the alphabet is much prettier. :p:
yet, but they do both sound like a cow farting when spoken, so I don't think aesthetics are what we should be focusing on.........
Reply 14
Lidka
Why would they want to Old English when they could take Ancient Greek? Let's face it, the alphabet is much prettier.

I knew you'd try and push Greek -- but WHY, given the hell it causes?!

The Good Shepard
yet, but they do both sound like a cow farting when spoken, so I don't think aesthetics are what we should be focusing on.........

How dare you, sir!
Old English sounds nothing like Greek! :wink:
Reply 15
epitome
I knew you'd try and push Greek -- but WHY, given the hell it causes?!

Because it's fun. And you get to read Homer properly.

The Good Shepard

Greek and Old English sound nothing like each other. :p: Have a listen here.
what the hell can this possibly be a link to???? www.greekandoldenglishcomparison.com????

Ok, I've clicked on it..........

Im sorry, you must have posted the wrong link; this one appears to just be a clip of a pensioner farting in a bath :wink:
Reply 17
The Good Shepard
what the hell can this possibly be a link to???? www.greekandoldenglishcomparison.com????

Ok, I've clicked on it..........

Im sorry, you must have posted the wrong link; this one appears to just be a clip of a pensioner farting in a bath :wink:

It worries me that you know what that sounds like, frankly. :p:
epitome
Old English.

Old English,

Old English.

^^This is liminal messaging. You know you want to. (No, seriously!)

I was considering Old English, although I might just do Latin as I'm doing it for A level. This isn't really the attitude to take, but how much extra effort is OE? :p: I certainly blahed on about medieval stuff in my interview enough (:rolleyes: ), I'm not sure I want to know what they put in the "suitability for chosen course" box.
Reply 19
*leaves epitome to point old that Old and Medieval English are not the same thing :p:*

I've just been re-reading the Literary History of Cambridge and my supervisor's in it. That made me stupidly happy for some reason. :biggrin:

Quick Reply