The Student Room Group

Should I worry about getting into medicine?

Okay, so i'm looking at getting 8 A* grades (inc. triple science, maths, english lan.), 2 A's (Geo & English Lit.) and 1 B (French) ..
For A-Levels i'm taking bio, chem, physics, punjabi and maths and probably expecting 3 A*'s and 2 A's ..

My question is where should I be looking to apply, if I have a chance? If not, let's say I do a degree in optometry from Manchester, what other things can I do besides being an Optometrist and what are chances for pursuing Medicine after that with a 1st??
Thanks
Tbh, I think it's hard to tell until you get those grades you want. I'll also say that until you get GCSE grades, it will be difficult to predict A Level grades, as they are a massive jump from GCSE.

I'll also add that someone doing 5 A Levels is very rare, as you'll find most people doing 3/4.

And there are other things to take into consideration, firstly that many people who do get good grades might not get in, simply because of the sheer amount of competition. Myself, and many others are bracing ourselves for the very real possibility that even if we get our As and apply we may not get in. Last year, our Sixth Form had no one get into a Medicine course, despite being the best state school in the city.

That being said, you should still reach for your dreams and if you're really passionate about it, you shouldn't be put off by all of this. Also, I'd recommend looking at other things you can do to boost your application other than the academic side, as you'll need plenty of work experience that you can reflect on, and other extra-curricular activities.

Best of luck. :h:

Edit: In my ramble I forgot to answer your question. :oops:
Firstly, when choosing a uni, there are many things to take into account.
- entry requirements at the very least
- which entry test they require, and how heavily they use it when choosing applicants. (The tests are either the UKCAT or the BMAT)

And then there are other things like how close to home it is, how large the campus is, how many applicants they may receive etc.

As for your other questions I have no clue. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by akash3141
Okay, so i'm looking at getting 8 A* grades (inc. triple science, maths, english lan.), 2 A's (Geo & English Lit.) and 1 B (French) ..
For A-Levels i'm taking bio, chem, physics, punjabi and maths and probably expecting 3 A*'s and 2 A's ..

My question is where should I be looking to apply, if I have a chance? If not, let's say I do a degree in optometry from Manchester, what other things can I do besides being an Optometrist and what are chances for pursuing Medicine after that with a 1st??
Thanks

If you want to do medicine, there is very little point doing more than the standard 3 a-levels. It is far better to get AAA than AABBB, yu don't want to overextend yourself. And no where, except Barts, would even count your extra a-levels.

There is no point deciding where to apply until you have your GCSE grades and have sat the UKCAT. Universities can change their admission policies year on year so there is little point narrowing down in advance.

But if you get those GCSE grades then it shouldn't really rule you out of anywhere (except Oxford).
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies..

I was just thinking that would my mathematics even count because I have already started the AS Level, and i'm probably fgoing to complete the whole A Level by next year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending