The Student Room Group

Physics exam question - help

Figured you guys here are incredible at Physics [compared to GCSE] so this question should be no sweat for you guys - thanks in advance :smile:
How will I go about calculating this? I can't find any instructions in my revision guide, which was made by AQA themselves :/
physics unit 2 max spe.png
Reply 1
Do you know any facts about the connection between distance-time graphs and speed?
Reply 2
From the graph, the maximum speed will be when the gradient of the graph is at it steepest i.e where the speed is constant between 6 seconds and 10 seconds.

So, the speed is (170 - 80) / (10 - 6) = 22.5 meters per second.
Original post by Gabzinc
Figured you guys here are incredible at Physics [compared to GCSE] so this question should be no sweat for you guys - thanks in advance :smile:
How will I go about calculating this? I can't find any instructions in my revision guide, which was made by AQA themselves :/
physics unit 2 max spe.png

Distance divide it by time taken :smile:
speed = distance/time
To get the greatest speed, you want to cover the greatest distance in the shortest amount of time - this would be represented on the graph by a vertical line. The steeper the gradient (the closer it is to being vertical and), the greater the speed.
So to work out the greatest speed, work out the gradient of the line when it is at its steepest :smile:
Distance/time= speed
Therefore the gradient = speed

The steepest gradient is therefore the highest speed the car was travelling at.

This is at the end of the graph, so measure the straight line towards the end of the graph's gradient, and there's your answer
Reply 6
Thanks guys! A problem though, its hard to see where the straight line begins.

Quick Reply

Latest