The Student Room Group

I think Britain is going to remain in the EU.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Nope.

The argument could just as easily be that UK did well despite the "terrible" EU.

Oh and..

Spoiler

I thought you said Romanians for a second :eek: :lol:
Original post by jneill
Nope.

The argument could just as easily be that UK did well despite the "terrible" EU.

Oh and..

Spoiler

The point is you are only showing data from 1973 when we joined the EU. We do not know how Uk growth looked like pre-joining the EU so you cannot make a conclusion without providing that data
Original post by pereira325
The point is you are only showing data from 1973 when we joined the EU. We do not know how Uk growth looked like pre-joining the EU so you cannot make a conclusion without providing that data

Why's it relevant - the argument is that being in the EU is bad. The data shows it wasn't. Anyway since 1700 good enough for you?

Original post by pereira325

Or just consider the last 100 years. And this one looks like UK had faster growth during the EU years...

(edited 7 years ago)
I will be voting leave, but I don't think we actually will.
Reply 225
Original post by XcitingStuart
So the EU protects EU trade by placing tariffs on non-EU goods, driving down competition, increasing monopolies.

This has increased food prices for us.
(Read on "Common External Tariff".)

Also our inability to set our own tariffs is helping to destroy our steel industry. China has a surplus of steel, and is selling it ridiculously cheep.

EU has only a 9% tariff on Chinese steel, as opposed to the US with a 255% tariff (I think?)(Sorry if slightly inaccurate; off the top of my head.)

So our steel industry simply can't compete; no one's buying from them.

Sorry my arguments lack structure; I'm on a schedule and writing in a stream of consciousness type of style.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brexiters want both tariff free trade and tariffs. A bit contradictory and unworkable I think.
Original post by Maker
Brexiters want both tariff free trade and tariffs. A bit contradictory and unworkable I think.

Isn't it more "free to set your own tariffs"?

That's not unworkable.

e.g. we could increase the tariff on the dumped Chinese steel to sth more sensible than 9%.

That's not unworkable.

e.g. we could increase the tariff on the dumped Chinese steel to sth more sensible than 9%.

Except we wouldn't. Given that the government has refused to implement the EU tariffs on China.

That's not unworkable.

It physically pains me how naïve you are.
Original post by jneill
Why's it relevant - the argument is that being in the EU is bad. The data shows it wasn't. Anyway since 1700 good enough for you?

One can never make a true analysis, doing so would require knowing what would have happened if the thing being observed were different.

Original post by jneill
Or just consider the last 100 years. And this one looks like UK had faster growth during the EU years...

Compound effect would do that, take the derivative of the curve and, shocks aside, it should be roughly linear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Britain's economy has outperformed USA since we joined the EU in 1973

GDP per capita.png

france is in the EU too, yet they're not doing better...? :hello:
Original post by sleepysnooze
france is in the EU too, yet they're not doing better...? :hello:

So?

This is about the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
So?

This is about the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

...what? you can't just ignore the fact that your argument doesn't work when applied to other EU countries, because your argument was that the UK is doing better *because* of the EU - why isn't france doing better because of the EU, then? and if you're going to say "well france is less capitalist" (a non-EU factor), why can't others refer to non-EU factors for the UK's growth? I don't understand how you can justify that kind of contradiction
Reply 233

That's not unworkable.

And China will retaliate by reducing investment in the UK.
Reply 234
I think we should stay, because it would take decades to get back the connections we will lose....also...you'd have to get a visa to go Ibiza.
Original post by Trill
I think we should stay, because it would take decades to get back the connections we will lose....also...you'd have to get a visa to go Ibiza.

Why and why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not unworkable.

It's not that simple, the WTO is a thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
Except we wouldn't. Given that the government has refused to implement the EU tariffs on China.

One step at a time. Let's get out of Europe THEN get rid of this Government.

And remember the next Government we elect would actually be sovereign. Not like the ones we have had since Thatcher which bend over and take it up the rear from Brussels and the Franco-German axis.

Whilst in the EU there is NO chance to save our steel industry. Says it all really.
Reply 238
Original post by Jammy Duel

For the same reason Scotland didn't leave, because we would have to establish ourselves as truly independent from the union. Then renegotiate things from trade to travel with the countries. It has been hypothesised that the latter could take up 10 to 15 years.
Original post by Trill

Well over a million non Europeans have crossed the European continent without let or hindrance to claim a new life in Germany, Sweden and the UK over the past few months, and are continuing to do so, yet you think you won't be able to get to Ibiza on holiday if we leave? :hmmmm2:

Sounds likely.

Quick Reply

Latest