The Student Room Group

Why would I need a my Doctor as a reference?

I'm applying for a part time retail job and in the application form, it says I could use a doctor, solicitor, teacher etc. who has known me for more than 3 years, my doctor is the only one who's known me for this period. But why would they need to contact my doctor?
Original post by Blyts-_
I'm applying for a part time retail job and in the application form, it says I could use a doctor, solicitor, teacher etc. who has known me for more than 3 years, my doctor is the only one who's known me for this period. But why would they need to contact my doctor?

Probably for a character reference as they're a registered professional who can vouch for you.
Reply 2
Original post by thegodofgod
Probably for a character reference as they're a registered professional who can vouch for you.

But my doctor doesn't know anything about me, except the things I've been to see him about but that's not related?
You dont say what the reference is for. It may just be to cinfirm you are who you say you are. As pointed out above the suggested people are professionals, so they are seen as to be more credible.

Its says you could use... not you must use, so therefore it is your chouce to select someone appropriate within those guidelines.
Original post by Blyts-_
They want to check your identity is valid and not stolen or forged.

It's incumbent on employers to make sure your identity is correct, that you are entitled to be in this country/work and are not here on a student visa seeking work or have overstayed your holiday visa etc. if you are not from the UK.
Teacher then, why so bothered about the fact it mentions doctor when there are other options on the list? You don't have to get a reference from them all. Just one from one of those kinds of professionals listed as they're more likely to be reliable than your mate or a family member (which is why you're not allowed to use them).
Reply 6
Original post by Little Popcorns
Teacher then, why so bothered about the fact it mentions doctor when there are other options on the list? You don't have to get a reference from them all. Just one from one of those kinds of professionals listed as they're more likely to be reliable than your mate or a family member (which is why you're not allowed to use them).

Haven't known a teacher for more than 2 years, they require 3.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
You dont say what the reference is for. It may just be to cinfirm you are who you say you are. As pointed out above the suggested people are professionals, so they are seen as to be more credible.

Its says you could use... not you must use, so therefore it is your chouce to select someone appropriate within those guidelines.

from the list, my doctor is the only one I've known for more than 3 years. They want a referee they could approach in support of my application, but if there is no previous employer, a professional person I have known for a minimum of 3 years would suffice
Original post by Blyts-_
Haven't known a teacher for more than 2 years, they require 3.
Who have you known apart from your family and friends? Done any work experience, any volunteering?
Original post by Blyts-_
from the list, my doctor is the only one I've known for more than 3 years. They want a referee they could approach in support of my application, but if there is no previous employer, a professional person I have known for a minimum of 3 years would suffice

Theres no one at school who knew you for 3 years?
What about the local vicar?
No family friend who is a professional?

You are looking for someone who is independent, but has a position of reasonable responsibility. If there is no one, then you will ahve to negotiate with them who might be accpetable.

If its just an application, juts put reference to be provided or agreed and sort something out with HR. They are unlikely to take it up inless they offer you the job.
Original post by uberteknik
They want to check your identity is valid and not stolen or forged.

It's incumbent on employers to make sure your identity is correct, that you are entitled to be in this country/work and are not here on a student visa seeking work or have overstayed your holiday visa etc. if you are not from the UK.

No.... that isn't why. Your passport and national insurance number serves that purpose.

OP, you don't have to put your doctor as a reference, in fact you shouldn't, unless you don't have any teachers, previous employers or supervisors, colleagues, or anyone else who knows you in an academic/professional context. You would only need to give an irrelevant reference from a doctor if you had no other viable options.
Original post by lolakirk
No.... that isn't why. Your passport and national insurance number serves that purpose.

Oh yes it is. :wink:
Original post by uberteknik
Oh yes it is. :wink:

OK. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending