The Student Room Group

Why are some Pressure Groups more successful than others?

Hi all,

I would be very appreciative if you could take a couple of minutes to help me.

I'm not asking for a full essay, just a couple of points.

E.G.

Group resources - Material Resources (money) have helped... e.g. to be successful

Celebrity endorsement - Joanna Lumley - Gurkha's = successful

Just small points with a couple of stats like this would be fantastic!

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Cal1999
Hi all,

I would be very appreciative if you could take a couple of minutes to help me.

I'm not asking for a full essay, just a couple of points.

E.G.

Group resources - Material Resources (money) have helped... e.g. to be successful

Celebrity endorsement - Joanna Lumley - Gurkha's = successful

Just small points with a couple of stats like this would be fantastic!

Thank you!

Insider/ outsider status is always a good one to mention, so like the BMA (British Medical Association) are always an insider group due to expertise etc. and groups such as Greenpeace are outsider groups by necessity because they feel they can do more good by protesting against government instead of having to compromise with them. Some stats on this are that the BMA and CBI are always insider groups, there are 8 insider groups to every outsider group.

If you have any specifics then I'd be happy to help. Is this for the Politics AS exam on Monday?
https://lednum.wordpress.com/2006/12/28/some-pressure-groups-are-more-successful-than-others-discuss/
^^ thats an example essay if you want it. Since it was an old question there are probably quite a few resources online.
Good luck in your exam if it's on monday too
Reply 3
Original post by Sam74
Insider/ outsider status is always a good one to mention, so like the BMA (British Medical Association) are always an insider group due to expertise etc. and groups such as Greenpeace are outsider groups by necessity because they feel they can do more good by protesting against government instead of having to compromise with them. Some stats on this are that the BMA and CBI are always insider groups, there are 8 insider groups to every outsider group.

If you have any specifics then I'd be happy to help. Is this for the Politics AS exam on Monday?

Thank you very much! And yes, it is.

Do you have any more points for pressure groups? E.G. methods, aims, resources, status...

I have a couple of other specific questions to do with the course as well:

Pressure Groups and the EU - what should I know - what is good to know?

Why did the TORIES win the 2015 GE?

Party leader, past performance, policies, party unity etc... considering all 3 main parties

Problems with the insider/ outsider PG typology...

What is a protest movement?

Links with parties and government,including the EU.

Factors likely to affect the politicalinfluence of groups including membershipand resources.

The impact of groups and movements ininfluencing policy and changing values **********E.G.S NEEDED******************

Role of the media in pressure grouppolitics.

Possibility of some citizens beingexcluded from pressure group politics.

Don't feel pressured into answering all of them - just if you have time. Your help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your other answer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending