The Student Room Group

KAPLAN or MEDIC PORTAL ukcat course??

Hey guys,
I've applied this year to medicine,but didnt get eventhough my predicted grades were okay (A*AA) However, my UKCAT score was really low 590, which is the reason i didnt get in. I really want to study medicine, so i wanna give it another try and apply again.
I was thinking of doing the kaplan ukcat course, but i dont know if it useful or just a waste of money. Medic portal also has a course, is it better or worse?

Is taking a course useful?
Which course is better (Kaplan or medic portal or any others you guys know)?

https://www.kaptest.co.uk/ukcat/course

Thanks a lot!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SaphBruh
Hey guys,
I've applied this year to medicine,but didnt get eventhough my predicted grades were okay (A*AA) However, my UKCAT score was really low 590, which is the reason i didnt get in. I really want to study medicine, so i wanna give it another try and apply again.
I was thinking of doing the kaplan ukcat course, but i dont know if it useful or just a waste of money. Medic portal also has a course, is it better or worse?

Thanks a lot!

What did you use to prepare this year? I didn't do either but from what I've heard in not sure if they're worth it. I'd suggest a medify subscription for around two/three weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by mliela
What did you use to prepare this year? I didn't do either but from what I've heard in not sure if they're worth it. I'd suggest a medify subscription for around two/three weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ngl i underestimated the test a lot. Just bought the 600q book, which was okay, but i guess i didnt go over it properly.
If i dont do the course and do bad again, i'll regret not taking the course, so i might as well.
Have you done your ukcat? If yea, whar did you get?
And yea, i might get that subscription as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Ngl i underestimated the test a lot. Just bought the 600q book, which was okay, but i guess i didnt go over it properly.
If i dont do the course and do bad again, i'll regret not taking the course, so i might as well.
Have you done your ukcat? If yea, whar did you get?
And yea, i might get that subscription as well.

I did it last year and got 757.5. I used the six hundred book at first and was a bit disappointed by it but medify was the main help. A lot of people in the year above me had suggested it.

If you feel like a course would suit you then go for it. I'm not sure about the medic portal course but I know the Kaplan one is a bit more established.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mliela
I did it last year and got 757.5. I used the six hundred book at first and was a bit disappointed by it but medify was the main help. A lot of people in the year above me had suggested it.

If you feel like a course would suit you then go for it. I'm not sure about the medic portal course but I know the Kaplan one is a bit more established.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nice, can i ask what uni you are going to? And are you a gap year student?
Original post by mliela

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kaplan is good. Try Uniadmissions course. Both are very good.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Using the 600q book at the moment, but will be getting the updated 1000q book from ISC soon. Students in Year above say ISC is gold standard, and to use Medify online questionbank to get used to the computer screen.

Was thinking of MedPortal course, but unsure cause of its cost and rep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Athos
Using the 600q book at the moment, but will be getting the updated 1000q book from ISC soon. Students in Year above say ISC is gold standard, and to use Medify online questionbank to get used to the computer screen.

Was thinking of MedPortal course, but unsure cause of its cost and rep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

NO point getting 1000 Q book as 600 will be same. There are other books.. go for them or do online one... good luck
Reply 8
Original post by manya.june
NO point getting 1000 Q book as 600 will be same. There are other books.. go for them or do online one... good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Already bought the 1000q book
It's alright actually, I think it's like 500 new questions cause they got rid of the old section of 100q that's not tested no more

I'm using Medify as well to prep

Not sure whether I'll go to MedPortal course in the end, but I've paid for it so I guess I should
i was right then. Three cheers for Dave
Reply 10
Original post by IntegrityFirst
i was right then. Three cheers for Dave

What are you on about ?my name 's not dave
I know.
Reply 12
Hi. I didn't attend any course for the UKCAT and did very well. I think it's just a case of going through the questions and understanding the concepts. The more you do, the better you become and there are so many sources with decent explanations. Going to a course for the exam may help if you don't understand the questions (which I don't think is that common), and from speaking to people it boosts your self-confidence.

For me, I felt that the quality of my personal statement was not very good, and I am not very confident with interviews at all! I signed up with "UKMeducation" and I found them useful, especially for their personal statement analysis and interview coaching.

I think that much of it can be done on your own, especially the exam parts. A bit of help is always nice, but if you are going to pay for something like courses/tutoring don't just do it for the sake of it, but see what you can gain from the money spent.
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot!

Hi SaphBruh

I just saw your post and wondered if you had decided about taking a UKCAT course?

It is definitely true that many people do well in their UKCAT without having taken a course. However, if you have already tried studying for it yourself and not done as well as you had hoped, then perhaps it would be a good idea to book yourself onto a course.

If you have decided that would be a good idea, then the question then becomes 'which one'?

There are a number of courses available and of course everyone will tell you that theirs is the best (myself included!). I would say one of the things to consider is what style of learning suits you best. Do you think you would get more from an intense classroom style course or something that you can do online from home at your own pace?

The next thing to think about is the resources that come as part of that course as this varies largely between companies. Make sure that you are getting the most for your money by checking what is included in the different courses available.

If you are still undecided, you might like to have a read of this blog which covers this exact subject.

Do give me a shout if you have any questions... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending