The Student Room Group

One of my final calls for help before the AS G+P EXAM AQA - MONDAY 6 JUNE

Hi all,

I would be extrememly grateful if you could pick a couple of my points and give me some brief bullet point answers with examples

Do you have any points for pressure groups - WHY ARE SOME MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN OTHERS?
E.G. methods, aims, resources, status...

I have a couple of other specific questions to do with the course as well:

Pressure Groups and the EU - what should I know - what is good to know?

Why did the TORIES win the 2015 GE?

Party leader, past performance, policies, party unity etc... considering all 3 main parties, and all 3 main party leaders - past performance can be for any election - principally for 2015, though - for all

Problems with the insider/ outsider PG typology...

What is a protest movement?

Links with parties and government, including the EU.

Factors likely to affect the political influence of groups including membership and resources.

The impact of groups and movements in influencing policy and changing values **********E.G.S NEEDED******************

Role of the media in pressure group politics.

Possibility of some citizens being excluded from pressure group politics.

Thank you very much, and kind regards.
'Pressure Groups and the EU - what should I know - what is good to know?'

Europe's precedence over UK law gives PGs a much better approach at influencing government policy since the EU can override UK law

Over 30,000 lobbyists within Brussels, 'they influence 75% of legislation' - the Guardian, 2015 - some nice statistics

Eurogroups, e.g. COPA-COGECA and the NFU, a larger agricultural european pressure group around farming etc., stronger in numbers and can influence EU/UK legislation more effectively

That's all I can think of currently. Hope it helps and apologies if anyone else replies and fixes a mistake I've made haha
Reply 2
Some PGs are more successful than others because of...

SIZE - some have a bigger number of members, therefore more influence and pressure on gov to listen and implement certain policies
WEALTH - money talks and PGs with wealthy executives will have more connections and the ability to attract more attention, more influence etc
GENERAL POWER - some PGs have less controversial goals and methods (not like Fathers 4 Justice) and so will have more of the general public's support E.G. RSPCA
STATUS - insider groups will have close connections with gov, can directly talk to ministers and influence them. Whereas outsiders rely on capturing a large amount of the public's attention and rely on them to pressure gov.

Pressure Groups and the EU
You don't need to know that much about PGs and EU, i'll doubt that there will be a 25 marker on it. However you should know that they are called Eurogroups and as the first reply says, they have strength in numbers. PGs from each member state that share the same goals and ideas are able to exercise more power over Brussels and therefore over the whole EU. Disadvan.. tyranny of the minority.

Why did the TORIES win the 2015 GE? - sorry i'm not an expert on parties, I would recommend participation.

Party leader, past performance, policies, party unity etc... considering all 3 main parties, and all 3 main party leaders - past performance can be for any election - principally for 2015, though - for all

Problems with the insider/ outsider PG typology...
Insiders have more influence, Outsiders are almost forced to be extreme to gain media and public support. Doesn't support a pluralist democracy because not all PGs have fair and free competition and gov doesn't necessarily support views of those more extreme PGs for example CND.

What is a protest movement?

That's easy, google. Like Civil disobedience.

Links with parties and government, including the EU. - Again i'm not concentrating on parties, recommend participation.

Factors likely to affect the political influence of groups including membership and resources.

SIZE
WEALTH
MEMBERSHIP
STATUS
CAUSE - SECTIONAL - cause might struggle with members because campaign doesn't directly benefit members. E.G RSPB
Whereas Sectional like BMA benefits Doctors and so they will more than likely join, meaning BMA have no problems with membership.
CAMPAIGN -too extreme? unimportant?

The impact of groups and movements in influencing policy and changing values..
BMA is recent eg of nothing much happening.
NFU milk protest.
Greenpeace and Plane Stupid 'No Third Runway' protest

Role of the media in pressure group politics....
Promote activites, mostly positively.
Give PGs more attention if methods are extreme. EG Fathers 4 Justice climbing gates of Buckingham Palace dressed as superheroes etc.

Possibility of some citizens being excluded from pressure group politics.
Cannot be member of Law Society if you haven't got a career in law.
BMA - no non-doctors etc etc.

HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK! I'LL BE NEEDING IT TOO

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending