The Student Room Group

Having QTS but no PGCE....

Hi all,

I'm currently considering my future career options and I'm wondering whether my plans will work or not.

To explain, I've been teaching exclusively at International Schools outside of the UK for a number of years. I completed a Master's Degree in Education at an International University outside of the European Union (though my first Bachelors degree is from the UK).

I have a lot of relevant teaching experience, I've successfully been teaching the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (equivalent to A Levels), and I've now been offered a place to take the Assessment Only Route to QTS.

If I achieve QTS and become an NQT, "on paper" I see no reason why I couldn't return permanently to the UK and start my NQT year.

However, will any schools in the UK really be willing to take me on? Someone who will not have a PGCE or any real teaching experience in the UK?

Thanks in advance
Yes.
Many Universities/SCITT offer QTS-only routes at a cheaper alternative to a PGCE, and many of them go on to successfully become NQTs.
Some universities provide "PGCE top-up" courses where you can do the extra modules to gain PGCE.
Not having a PGCE won't bother schools, I don't think, but Im not sure about the lack of UK experience. That could be a barrier for some.
you all ready have a Masters in education - QTS is the key issue for UK practice, what does yet more level 7 actually gain you ?
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Not having a PGCE won't bother schools, I don't think, but Im not sure about the lack of UK experience. That could be a barrier for some.

But then don't all NQTs have very little UK experience?

Original post by zippyRN
you all ready have a Masters in education - QTS is the key issue for UK practice, what does yet more level 7 actually gain you ?

To be clear, I have a Master's Degree in Education but it was at a university outside of the EEA.

So for UK intents and purposes, I don't think it counts for all that much.

Original post by Findlay6
Yes.
Many Universities/SCITT offer QTS-only routes at a cheaper alternative to a PGCE, and many of them go on to successfully become NQTs.
Some universities provide "PGCE top-up" courses where you can do the extra modules to gain PGCE.

That's great, I was actually hoping to complete my NQT year and then go back and do a "top up" PGCE if necessary.

My concern is job interviewers being unwilling to consider my unorthodox profile (of teaching outside the UK and no PGCE), despite me having QTS.

After I complete my NQT year, I can resolve these CV issues, but I am worried no schools might be even willing to try my hand at the NQT induction.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SuspectPackage
But then don't all NQTs have very little UK experience?

It depends on hat training route they took. BA education trainees will have spent quite a bit of time in different Uk schools, but it will have been spread out over 3 years.

PGCE students will have done something like 16-20 weeks on placement in UK schools.

SCITT / School Direct / Teach First trainees will have been in school almost every day for an entire academic year, spending only a handful of days at a university or training centre working on theory of teaching etc. For some this also means gaining the academic PGCE qualification by completing written assignments.

Are you familiar with teaching the UK curriculum at the school you are in now and wherever you will be completing your assessment only QTS qualification? That's the main issue really. You need to show through your NQT job applications that you know the curriculum and how to teach it in a UK classroom.
Original post by TraineeLynsey

Are you familiar with teaching the UK curriculum at the school you are in now and wherever you will be completing your assessment only QTS qualification? That's the main issue really. You need to show through your NQT job applications that you know the curriculum and how to teach it in a UK classroom.

This is one of my two problems basically.

I've been teaching IB (International Baccalaureate) for years now. I've no evidence of having taught the British curriculum.

The only alternative I can think of would be to try to gain this evidence through some other means, so that I could bring it into an interview.

It seems I am right, and having QTS alone will not be the passport to NQT that I was hoping it to be.
Reply 7
I did the AO route, gaining QTS in 2014. I'm still overseas (have been since 2008) but it's great knowing that with QTS I could still return to the UK if I had to.

I've looked into what the process would be in case I did have to, or wanted to, return - and basically the deal is this. Normally schools should accept you for NQT positions (assuming you meet the other criteria for the post of course!) and consider you in the same way as those finishing a PGCE with QTS. However, because of your existing experience overseas, they can reduce the length of the NQT "year" if they want to - making you work under those conditions for just a term or two, for example. Equally, they can make your NQT status last a full year if they want to as well, in the same way as a normal trainee. You shouldn't need a PGCE top-up at any point.

In terms of not having much UK experience: you will probably be made to gain some as part of the AO route. The legal minimum is 2 weeks (I did this at the start of my summer holidays, before UK schools had broken up). More is obviously desirable, but that's the legal minimum. A word of warning before you do this: according to EU law they should accept a police records check from the country in which you currently teach overseas. However, my placement school was not aware of the law and this caused me a lot of stress on my first day (being without wheels in the UK myself it was my mum's job to drive back to the school with my passport, birth certificate etc so they could have proof of my identity!). It's therefore definitely worth the extra time and expense to get a DRB check from the UK done (even though we all know it is useless as you've been living overseas :tongue: ), as this is what schools know to accept.

Let me know if you need any more help as you embark on the AO route. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending