The Student Room Group

Is product design a good A level ?

I'm currently studying graphic design and that's the path I want to go down as I want to do architecture however my new school doesn't offer A level graphic design, only product design. I wanted to know if this is similar to graphic design or if it's more resistant materials based
Original post by Naf_A
Ohhh I do RM atm...I have chosen PD as well.....I think it's mainly a bit of both!

Would you say it's still art based ? Design is the only thing I'm good at really
Reply 2
I'm a year 13 with my last product design exam today. I'm heading for architecture in September but also did graphic design at GCSE.

Product design is perfect for architecture, I love it, it's even better than graphic design and really interesting to study. The skills you learn in graphic design help loads and you get to make whatever you like with real life clients. The only 'art' you do is sketches (that can be really poor quality tbf) to show and demonstrate your designs :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chrisj98
I'm a year 13 with my last product design exam today. I'm heading for architecture in September but also did graphic design at GCSE.

Product design is perfect for architecture, I love it, it's even better than graphic design and really interesting to study. The skills you learn in graphic design help loads and you get to make whatever you like with real life clients. The only 'art' you do is sketches (that can be really poor quality tbf) to show and demonstrate your designs :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there,

What you'd like to study and where in future?
I'm a 2nd Product designer here in Ravensbourne and I love it! We've done so much projects and collaborated with companies like M&S which really looks great in my portfolio!

Are you planning to study in London?

Come visit us this coming open day For tickets click here and Check us out Ravensbourne

We have a amazing range of courses that you may be interested in!

Hope to see you soon!
Ahlia :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey Chris! Congrats on getting into an architecture course!!! I'm currently in year 12, studying Product Design, Physics, Maths, and Biology and I'm hoping to apply to places like Bath, UCL and Cardiff for architecture. Only trouble is, I'm really worried I won't get any offers because most unis want art students and they might think I'm lacking in art skills because I took Graphic Design GCSE and I'm taking Product Design at A-level instead of fine art, which they seem to really really like. I'm hoping my DT qualifications will demonstrate my technical aptitude and creativity but I feel like that won't be enough and I'm worried my portfolio will be rubbish. How did you do it? Did your unis have any problem with you taking DT subjects instead of art?

Quick Reply

Latest