The Student Room Group

Other than religious, what reason is there to ban homosexuality?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FredOrJohn
You sound pretty callous about you dad, your mum doesn't even get a mention.

If mum was 42 at birth. but average age is.29 she would be 71 , that seems almost like late middle age nowadays and 84 is early old age..

You say "There is more to life than grandchildren" - that phrase sounds like something you'd say to someone who is crying.

Its not all beer and skittles. It is a family crisis of sorts. Its not a legal thing its a sad thing. Its not really Happy days are here again, its something that has to be accepted and moved on from

We know why many homosexual men marry, it is because children are important to many people.
And lets face it, nowadays many marriages don't last, so the effort is probably worth it.
Friendship is the most important thing in long term marriages - which is not relevant to sexuality, so in a sense, a gay man can easily marry without any problems.

That is not 'why' gay men marry.
Original post by polarising
Alright, Oedipus, let us know when your visitation hours are.

Hey, I'm not saying we should all jump into bed with our sisters, I'm just saying there's nothing actually wrong with it apart from the chance of extreme genetic aberration.
Ah yes, but God doesn't exist, so he can't make any laws himself.
Original post by donutellme
Same with homosexuality.

Anyway, I'm tired. Bye bye

How can anything you say be taken seriously? You're comparing a sexuality to incest. Weirdo.
Original post by Mactotaur
Hey, I'm not saying we should all jump into bed with our sisters, I'm just saying there's nothing actually wrong with it apart from the chance of extreme genetic aberration.

Psychological trauma? You're saying all types of incestual relationships, including parent/child, are okay?

You will find out eventually :toofunny:
Original post by tanyapotter
Psychological trauma? You're saying all types of incestual relationships, including parent/child, are okay?

That depends by what you mean with 'okay'. As long as it's consensual, which rules out children because children can't consent, I don't personally see a problem.
You sound pretty callous about you dad, your mum doesn't even get a mention.

If mum was 42 at birth. but average age is.29 she would be 71 , that seems almost like late middle age nowadays and 84 is early old age..

You say "There is more to life than grandchildren" - that phrase sounds like something you'd say to someone who is crying.

Its not all beer and skittles. It is a family crisis of sorts. Its not a legal thing its a sad thing. Its not really Happy days are here again, its something that has to be accepted and moved on from

We know why many homosexual men marry, it is because children are important to many people.
And lets face it, nowadays many marriages don't last, so the effort is probably worth it.
Friendship is the most important thing in long term marriages - which is not relevant to sexuality, so in a sense, a gay man can easily marry without any problems.

I only mentioned my dad because he's older than my mum (who was 39) so he is a better example, and it's not really a 'crisis' if someone doesn't have children regardless of sexuality. Also people marry for reasons unrelated to children. Do you think 60 year old heterosexual couples marry for the purpose of having children. No they don't (unless they're on of those weird couples who want fertility treatment because they want a baby but that is rare)
Defo shouldn't be banned, it's who someone is and if they don't like the opposite sex then that's fine. Only reason i can think of is maybe that it helps spread aids but not really a massive argument really
Original post by ivybridge
That is not 'why' gay men marry.

It is the main logical reason for marriage, to create a loving and lasting space in order to bring up children in a stable and long lasting environment.

Its not the only reason why people marry but I suspect its the main one. I guess another reason would be to create a legal framework for property rights etc.
Original post by Kyle1198
I only mentioned my dad because he's older than my mum (who was 39) so he is a better example, and it's not really a 'crisis' if someone doesn't have children regardless of sexuality. Also people marry for reasons unrelated to children. Do you think 60 year old heterosexual couples marry for the purpose of having children. No they don't (unless they're on of those weird couples who want fertility treatment because they want a baby but that is rare)

I'm sorry but for many parents (mothers especially) the thought of grandchildren is very powerful and not to have them is a mini-crisis of sorts.

Your 60 years getting married is not relevant as we're talking main reasons, not exceptions. The majority of marriages (by a long long way) occur in 20s and 30s and these marriages nearly always, with few exceptions, result in children, and "hopefully" grand children.

You are in a kind of "exceptions" denial .
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm sorry but for many parents (mothers especially) the thought of grandchildren is very powerful and not to have them is a mini-crisis of sorts.

Your 60 years getting married is not relevant as we're talking main reasons, not exceptions. The majority of marriages (by a long long way) occur in 20s and 30s and these marriages nearly always, with few exceptions, result in children, and "hopefully" grand children.

You are in a kind of "exceptions" denial .

Well I think parents who are grieving that they won't have grandkids need to get a grip tbh. One thing to grieve you can't have kids of your own, but no point being upset someone else isn't having kids...

So are you saying you're okay with the 'exception' of 60 year old heterosexuals marrying, but not with the 'exception' of a gay couple marrying? Do you therefore think relationships between people who can't have children are not ok. And before you say it's an 'exception', why is that an OK exception and not a gay relationship?

And yes it is relevant as a marriage is a marriage. All (non sham) marriages have their reasons, even if it's not your typical conventional straight couple in their 20s with the ambitions of having kids.
Well I think parents who are grieving that they won't have grandkids need to get a grip tbh. One thing to grieve you can't have kids of your own, but no point being upset someone else isn't having kids...

So are you saying you're okay with the 'exception' of 60 year old heterosexuals marrying, but not with the 'exception' of a gay couple marrying? Do you therefore think relationships between people who can't have children are not ok. And before you say it's an 'exception', why is that an OK exception and not a gay relationship?

And yes it is relevant as a marriage is a marriage. All (non sham) marriages have their reasons, even if it's not your typical conventional straight couple in their 20s with the ambitions of having kids.

I made no mention of "Not OK" . I said you were in denial if you felt that the couples parents will not be sad that they will be unlikely to be grand parents.

It is a sad thing, you have to accept this, for most parents not to have grandchildren. I'm sorry but it is.

I'm pretty sure, for most homosexual men it is also sad hence so many marry in the normal way and have children.
I made no mention of "Not OK" . I said you were in denial if you felt that the couples parents will not be sad that they will be unlikely to be grand parents.

It is a sad thing, you have to accept this, for most parents not to have grandchildren. I'm sorry but it is.

I'm pretty sure, for most homosexual men it is also sad hence so many marry in the normal way and have children.

You haven't answered half of my question. You're saying that a reason homosexuality is banned is because mothers are worried their children won't have kids. You also said the prime reason for marrying is to have kids. My question to you is if the exception of 60 year olds is not relevant, surely gays for the criteria of this exception, no?
You haven't answered half of my question. You're saying that a reason homosexuality is banned is because mothers are worried their children won't have kids.

No i'm not saying any of the above. I am saying what I said, no more and no less....
Although now you've put words in my head I can see that it might be banned in many churches because older women tend to control churches at local level (at least that has been my view of it) - I can see that older women might, generally speaking, take a bit of a dim view of it.
(edited 7 years ago)
As you said by the end of this post - the thread is about a ban and reasons for it.

Why you have an issue with the natural conception dynamic, I won't ever be able to fully understand.

If you want to, go for it.

I was rationalising the one issue I have with homosexuality, from my perspective, the scientific and the religious, to prevent any form of confusion once the op or whoever reads it. I feel it's futile and senseless to ban homosexuality lol but I was providing reasoning for why some people disagree with homosexuality, because that is where banning it would come from, disagreeing with it. In doing this I'm not a horrible person.
Original post by Grand High Witch
Overpopulation is a grave concern for the future of humanity. Those who choose not to have children are not being selfish on any objective level. "Be fruitful and multiply" comes from the word of men who, thousands of years ago, may have felt that (probably due to the circumstances at the time) more people were needed for agriculture, armies, missionaries, etc.

Also, what's wrong with not having kids because your "hands" are too full? Many couples work in jobs which mean they wouldn't have enough time to devote to children in any meaningful way. As for "wallets", do you really think it's helpful for couples to have children when they cannot afford to?

My view is that any God who proclaims "be fruitful and multiply" regardless of the current circumstances of a civilisation is, frankly, negligent.

This being the first sentence is not a good sign for what the rest of your post could possibly be saying. It's a precursor to serious comprehension errors. My last post went completely over your head obviously. Again, over population isn't a huge concern in general...and even if it is, it's certainly not going to make opting out of having kids while you can in fact have them some noble gesture. Are you serious?
iF WE DONT BAN THEM THEN THE HUMAnS WILL DIE Out ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Spoiler

Incest:

- Family;
- Familial Force at play?;
- Dysfunctional children;
- Against the law (lowest bastion of moral decision making but t'is a differnce).

Objectiphillia:

- Not even human;
- No personality;
- No real sexual properties in itself;
- No conceivable substance could exisy in the relationship.

Homosexual:

- Not related;
- No dysfunction due to type of relationship, if children are to be had;
- Follows the typical model;
- Orientation, not an attraction to a family member like incest;
- Two distinct individuals, consensually being in love; incest does not include this necessarily as it can disrupt the relationships surrounding that couple or even with the couple themselves.

There are many others. Do your own research.

Follows the typical model...?
No offence to homosexuals but I don't think the way they enjoy sexual relations is exactly 'typical', in that they use different body parts to do it...
Also you can't argue that incest disrupts relationships around or within the couple as you could say the same for homosexuality- it's just a matter of opinion. Arguing the dysfunctional nature of incest is also prejudiced, as one could also argue that homosexuality encompasses an aspect of abnormality in it as well.
By the way I do not in any way promote or support incest nor homosexuality. Just commenting on small details that I found not too accurate.

Now that's extremely offensive and inappropriate is it not?
Saying your own perspective on something is fine and a right you carry as a human being but refusing to acknowledge that others could believe in a God is violating their rights to have a religious belief and to be honest, pretty childish.

Quick Reply

Latest