The Student Room Group

'Safe choices' for LLB Law at University

Although I am predicted A*AAA at A level, my school pushes the idea that we should have a university that requires lower than our expected grades. I am hoping to study at a Russell group uni but I am looking at Kent or Leicester for AAB. Is this low enough for it to be a 'safe' option? Anyone know of any other unis that ask for similar/lower grades? please help!:colondollar:
It's a good idea to apply to universities with a range of entry requirements so that you won't be stuck in clearing if your exams go badly. But only apply to universities you're seriously interested in and where you'd be happy to go.
From what I've found during my research into law schools is that the best ones are all gonna be A*AA, then there's a few that are like AAB that are still pretty good, and after that I struggled to find any with a good reputation/ that I'd heard of below ABB/BBB.

They probably exist but I personally stopped looking at that point. Law is competitive even without having scraped your way onto a law degree so I didn't see the point in looking any lower.

Northumbria takes in based on UCAS points that I think works out to roughly straight Bs or maybe an A or 2. I'm not sure given the new tariffs, but that's probably gonna be my "safe option" when I start applying.

Hope this helps, and of course, I may be slightly wrong. This is only what I personally gathered so no one shoot me please aha.
i wouldn't bother applying to lower universities, i'd take a risk and try and get offers from the best ones. the ones you mention will almost certainly be in clearing if the worst comes to the worst.
you don't really need a safe choice, unis like Newcastle Southampton Sheffield Leicester etc will be in clearing for BBB probs
Reply 5
Original post by (h)ell
Although I am predicted A*AAA at A level, my school pushes the idea that we should have a university that requires lower than our expected grades. I am hoping to study at a Russell group uni but I am looking at Kent or Leicester for AAB. Is this low enough for it to be a 'safe' option? Anyone know of any other unis that ask for similar/lower grades? please help!:colondollar:

There's no need to be over-panicking! You can still pick 2nd tier RG universities like Exeter, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield, and York.

It is true that to play safe, it would be better to pick one with requirements lower than your expected grades, but you must make sure that it is still the one you want to go.
Reply 6
If you want a good AAB uni for Law, Leicester is a solid choice, one of the best non Russell Group unis for Law. Failing that Southampton (Russell Group) were in clearing at BBB last year and Warwick was even in there!
I'd repeat what others have said. There is little sense in having courses you know will be in Extra/Clearing in your 5 choices. You know you can go to them, no matter what. Use your 5 choices for courses which are slightly more competitive and unlikely to be in Extra/Clearing. As you have strong predicted grades, it is not likely that you will fail to gain an offer from one of those 5.

I'd pick two strong A*AA courses, two AAA (Bristol and perhaps York/Exeter), and then at a push an AAB course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending