Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Employment Prospects/Experience Question

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hi guysI'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've just finished my law degree and I haven't got the results yet but I'm confident I've achieved at least a 2:1 (from a non RG uni). I'm starting my LPC in September full time so I'll have jumped through all the necessary hoops to train by summer 2017. Here's my dilemma - I know I'm good enough to train. I recently got the AC of my dream firm for a vac scheme but didn't get it. I feel like I missed out by a hairs breadth from the feedback given. They loved my enthusiasm, could see that I was driven and motivated, they said I had a clear understanding of the firm and I did really well in the interview and the instruction taking exercise. The reason I didn't get the VS is because they thought I was too quiet in the group exercise despite starting out strong and I could do with brushing up on my commercial awareness. It was also my first ever AC so I didn't know what to expect, but I really feel like if I re-apply next year direct for a TC I'm in with a serious shot. Onto the dilemma. I've never really needed to work because I've had the support of my mum and SF. I had a night club job for a bit but quit when the late night shifts started interfering with my academics. However, I really feel like my mum could do with some help (I live at home and she's a single parent) so I'm looking for part time work, possibly even full time over the summer then dropping to part time come September. But I also wanted to take on some more voluntary work/charity work to improve on the pointers dream firm gave me (I.e. Something that demonstrates more teamwork). I feel like I could juggle the two over the summer, but I'm not sure about when it comes to September so I was just wondering whether people think it would be manageable? I don't want to start volunteering over the summer then having to break that commitment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In case anyone is wondering, my cv experience wise looks like the following:
    2 years in a pro bono organisation (will be 3 years by the time I'm applying again/applying for jobs)
    Mini Pupillage
    Various informal work experience placements varying across both corporate/commercial and private client.
    Some county court work.
    Various networking events/open days
    A couple of legal based competitions (something else I'd like to have a few more goes at)

Why not do some sort of sports team thing or community team thing? You can fit that in easily during LPC. You sound like yu will get a TC but don't just apply t me firm wi you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by happyinthehaze)
    Why not do some sort of sports team thing or community team thing? You can fit that in easily during LPC. You sound like yu will get a TC but don't just apply t me firm wi you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, thanks for your response. Sport is definitely not my thing but thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure what you were trying to say in the last part of your message
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.