The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What is the University of Nottingham like?

Heya, I'm going to the University of Nottingham open day at the end of the month and was just wondering what it is like there.
What do students think about it?
whats the atmosphere like?
What kind of people go there?
Would you recommend it?
What is the teaching like?

I'm looking at computer science as a course but would also like to just know what the Uni is like in general :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Samonia
Heya, I'm going to the University of Nottingham open day at the end of the month and was just wondering what it is like there.
Would you recommend it?

I'm looking at computer science as a course but would also like to just know what the Uni is like in general :smile:

Hi I will be going to the open day too for CS! Which day are you going?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Aidan.reed
Hi I will be going to the open day too for CS! Which day are you going?

the Friday :smile: you?
Original post by Samonia
Would you recommend it?

I've just finished my third year at Nottingham so hopefully can give some reasonable answers to these questions.

Generally students like Nottingham - the campus is absolutely beautiful. If you like green spaces, a campus-based university and nature then it's definitely worth considering. I would say there was a real mix of people here. There are people from all over the world and from all different backgrounds.

I am very glad that I chose to do my undergraduate degree at Nottingham - I recommend it. The teaching is good in my department (Physics) though I don't know about other courses.

Comp Sci is based on Jubilee campus rather than the main campus (Uni park) but they are not far apart (walkable in 15-20 minutes, or there's a bus). Jubilee is also very nice, but much more modern than uni park. It has a lot of interesting architectural buildings.

Nottingham in general is a good place to live. Accommodation is cheap, the nightlife is good, there are lots of great open spaces (such as Wollaton Park), and the university is located away from the city centre but close enough to walk / catch a bus. The bus service has been rated as the best in the country, which I would agree with, and is very useful for students.
Reply 4
Original post by AlesanaWill
I've just finished my third year at Nottingham so hopefully can give some reasonable answers to these questions.

Generally students like Nottingham - the campus is absolutely beautiful. If you like green spaces, a campus-based university and nature then it's definitely worth considering. I would say there was a real mix of people here. There are people from all over the world and from all different backgrounds.

I am very glad that I chose to do my undergraduate degree at Nottingham - I recommend it. The teaching is good in my department (Physics) though I don't know about other courses.

Comp Sci is based on Jubilee campus rather than the main campus (Uni park) but they are not far apart (walkable in 15-20 minutes, or there's a bus). Jubilee is also very nice, but much more modern than uni park. It has a lot of interesting architectural buildings.

Nottingham in general is a good place to live. Accommodation is cheap, the nightlife is good, there are lots of great open spaces (such as Wollaton Park), and the university is located away from the city centre but close enough to walk / catch a bus. The bus service has been rated as the best in the country, which I would agree with, and is very useful for students.

That's fantastic thank you :smile: I'm glad its good
Original post by Samonia
the Friday :smile: you?

The saturday!

Is it true Nottingham has a high crime rate ?I at first thought this is not true,but then one of my teachers said otherwise which knocked down my confidence.Is this really true ?
Original post by Kadak
Is it true Nottingham has a high crime rate ?I at first thought this is not true,but then one of my teachers said otherwise which knocked down my confidence.Is this really true ?

It used to! Now not at all its like every other city theres still crime. Its probably one of the safest cities now. Do some research of your own instead basing your decision on other peoples thoughts
Original post by Kadak

Lots of people have asked me this but I think it's just a common misconception. There are certainly dodgy areas of Nottingham, but that's the same with every city. At night in town you need to make sure you don't leave bags unattended etc. (one of my friends didn't and got mugged).

I wouldn't say that it was worse than any other city. It's not something I have ever worried about.

What do you think of the synoptic aspect of the physics course? Did you find it hard having to remember masses of information (from the previous months/years)?
Original post by Fangedbeast
What do you think of the synoptic aspect of the physics course? Did you find it hard having to remember masses of information (from the previous months/years)?

The core content from previous years is assumed knowledge for later years, but not the minute detail. It's expected, because it's stuff that any good physicist really should know (and can probably recite in their sleep). Each year builds on the previous years to some extent, and so you're expected to have a full understanding of last year's stuff - otherwise you'll struggle. This is why it is important to do well in first year, even though it doesn't count towards your degree mark.

That said, physics is not about reciting vast amounts of information - as that doesn't show intelligence or understanding of the subject. The exams mostly consist of unseen problems where you have to apply your knowledge to a new situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending