The Student Room Group

American spelling in IGCSE English language

I have been using American spelling all of my life, i went to an international school and most of my teachers were American. I was wondering if i could use American spelling during my IGCSE English Language exam. I sometimes write too quickly and forget that i am supposed to spell some words differently..
Original post by Ranadosa
I have been using American spelling all of my life, i went to an international school and most of my teachers were American. I was wondering if i could use American spelling during my IGCSE English Language exam. I sometimes write too quickly and forget that i am supposed to spell some words differently..

Which exam board are you doing?
Reply 2
Original post by fadim
Which exam board are you doing?

edexcel igcse.
I used to do CIE
Reply 3
Original post by Ranadosa
edexcel igcse.
I used to do CIE

I'm not so sure about Edexcel, but CAIE accepts both. This is taken from the CAIE IGCSE English FAQ Page https://help.cambridgeinternational.org/hc/en-gb/articles/360001390537-FAQs-for-IGCSE-English-First-Language-0500-0990-#anchor_4

Is there an issue in candidates using American/Australian spelling versus British English spelling?

Examiners are used to receiving answers in both British English and American/Australian English. What is important is that candidates aim at consistency. In extended writing, for example, candidates should not be using different spellings for the same word (e.g. using ‘flavor’ and ‘flavour’ in the same piece).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending