The Student Room Group

What Should I do about exams - second year university student

Just need some advice. I'm a second Year Law Student

So Since April I've been really ill as I kept vomiting, cant sleep, crying, get headaches, feeling tired throughout the day. Because of this I had to miss my May exams.

Now, I feel slightly better however I still get bad headaches and still have sleeping problems which still makes me feel tired during the day. As my exams will likely be deferred in the end of June as I submitted a medical letter from my GP about my health situation, as I'm still unwell, do you think its best to postpone the exam until next May? As there isnt any other earlier time until end of June to do the exams.

I've done some revision (reading from my notes and book) bit by bit but as I'm still ill I can't revise fully as I want to, specifically the headaches which causing the main problem for my revision.

If I take my exams now, there is a risk that I won't perform well due to the fact of my headaches and that I haven't fully revised the topics I need to because of this.

Would appreciate any advice given.
Original post by Anonymous
Just need some advice. I'm a second Year Law Student

So Since April I've been really ill as I kept vomiting, cant sleep, crying, get headaches, feeling tired throughout the day. Because of this I had to miss my May exams.

Now, I feel slightly better however I still get bad headaches and still have sleeping problems which still makes me feel tired during the day. As my exams will likely be deferred in the end of June as I submitted a medical letter from my GP about my health situation, as I'm still unwell, do you think its best to postpone the exam until next May? As there isnt any other earlier time until end of June to do the exams.

I've done some revision (reading from my notes and book) bit by bit but as I'm still ill I can't revise fully as I want to, specifically the headaches which causing the main problem for my revision.

If I take my exams now, there is a risk that I won't perform well due to the fact of my headaches and that I haven't fully revised the topics I need to because of this.

Would appreciate any advice given.

If you aren't well and aren't going to do yourself justice then try and defer. You really need to speak to your personal tutor or whoever your contact at the uni is as they can advise on university policy regarding deferrals, or taking a year out as that might be a better option to allow you to rest and get the treatment you need.

If you've been vomiting since April you need to go to your GP and get this investigated as frequent vomiting can cause all sorts of problems. If you're taking time out, make sure you get this sorted so that you can get yourself back on track, which means finding out what the cause of this is as soon as possible.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte49
If you aren't well and aren't going to do yourself justice then try and defer. You really need to speak to your personal tutor or whoever your contact at the uni is as they can advise on university policy regarding deferrals, or taking a year out as that might be a better option to allow you to rest and get the treatment you need.

If you've been vomiting since April you need to go to your GP and get this investigated as frequent vomiting can cause all sorts of problems. If you're taking time out, make sure you get this sorted so that you can get yourself back on track, which means finding out what the cause of this is as soon as possible.

Thanks for your reply, my vomiting issues have gone now, I was told from my GP appointment before the May exams I was suffering from a mixture of anxiety and depression, as my vomiting gone down significantly, I just still have sleeping problems and headache now.

I've spoken to my university, they said I can defer my June exams till next May provided I apply for serious circumstances again, but the downside of this is although I wont pay any tuition fees I will be using Student Finance extra gift year finance entitlement.

The only issue, I'm struggling to decide is,if i take a study break, I have to pay back any maintenance over-payments immediately and would still count as gift year if I attend one day in second year again in 2016/17.

so, the question is, whether taking a study break is really necessary when I still will be using up the gift year entitlement when I resume my studies. The maintenance grant which i receive i really need to support myself since without it I will struggle to support myself financially.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your reply, my vomiting issues have gone now, I was told from my GP appointment before the May exams I was suffering from a mixture of anxiety and depression, as my vomiting gone down significantly, I just still have sleeping problems and headache now.

I've spoken to my university, they said I can defer my June exams till next May provided I apply for serious circumstances again, but the downside of this is although I wont pay any tuition fees I will be using Student Finance extra gift year finance entitlement.

The only issue, I'm struggling to decide is,if i take a study break, I have to pay back any maintenance over-payments immediately and would still count as gift year if I attend one day in second year again in 2016/17.

so, the question is, whether taking a study break is really necessary when I still will be using up the gift year entitlement when I resume my studies. The maintenance grant which i receive i really need to support myself since without it I will struggle to support myself financially.

It's really down to you to decide whether you need to take a year out. A year is a long time and you will probably have to explain to future employers why this was (although it shouldn't be an issue). I'm not a SFE expert so not really able to advise you on the entitlements. Obviously if you take a year out you could be working which would help you out financially. If you're struggling with sleeping problems and headaches these do need investigation and the same with anxiety and depression. With mental health issues, it can take a while to get 'better' and there is a possibility you might return in a year's time to find nothing much has changed as you still have the stress of these exams hanging over you. At the end of the day this has to be your decision but I would encourage you to seek advice from your GP and personal tutor before making any decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest