The Student Room Group

NCS - should I do it?

Hi, this is my first post so I apologise if anything is done wrong.

I'm planning on doing NCS in roughly a month, but I'm considering withdrawing.
I get homesick and it can be extremely bad at times and I don't know if I'll be able to cope.
Sometimes, I'm like yeah I can do it.
But other times I freak out and don't think I can.
Original post by lottsofluck

I get homesick and it can be extremely bad at times and I don't know if I'll be able to cope.

I think you should go for it:smile: It's a once in a life time experience, and in a way, NCS will teach you on how to cope by yourself in the World. For example, in the second stage (Week 2), you might be put in a uni, and learn how to cook, look after yourself etc - I've never stayed away from home either, so this will be completely new for me too. And you've got to remember, everyone's in the same boat as you. From what I've heard, everyone is really friendly, so you'll be okay and finally, in regards to feeling homesick, your always welcome to call back home and speak to your family. I think they can visit you as well but you might want to check the FAQ's on the website. Hope this helps and good luck:h:
Reply 2
Original post by lottsofluck

Yesyesyes! Go for it. I was so close to dropping out because I didn't think I'd be able to meet so many new people or that I'd get homesick. I had the most amazing time and I met so many lovely people that I'm still friends with now two years later.

Honestly in the first week you're so busy doing things like rock climbing and canoeing you won't even feel homesick. Everyone will be in the same situation too and you'll all bond really quickly, that's the nature of NCS.

It gives you so many skills that you'll use later in life, too, so you'll learn how to mix with people from different backgrounds, how to empathise with others, how to challenge yourself and loads of team work skills (unis love that).

It's also really good for your CV and UCAS application (I know everyone says that about everything :biggrin:)

I also met my boyfriend of two years on NCS, so, you never know who you might meet :wink:

But definitely go for it. And when it's over you'll wonder why you ever thought about dropping out! It's a fab way of spending three weeks of your summer, and you'll get so much out of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending