The Student Room Group

A2 WJEC PY3 & PY4 (8th June & 14th June 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Soph97
It's where the researcher doesn't personally take part in the observation, they aren't involved, they just observe and records behaviour!

How did people operationalise the aggressive play? And also what was the experimental and null? And issues of reliability I put social desirability? Besides that went brilliantly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you I kind of said that but not fully :/
I said to operationalise aggression have an objective criteria to meet (like washoe with Gardner and Gardner?) and also time the length of aggressive play. (At least 5 secs to class as aggressive/ can compare times.

Experimental: number of phobias increases with amount of tv they watch
Null: number of phobias not affected by amount of tv / media exposure.
Reply 21
That sounds very much like it, doubt I have the marks :L is me saying social desirability right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heidi53
Thank you I kind of said that but not fully :/
I said to operationalise aggression have an objective criteria to meet (like washoe with Gardner and Gardner?) and also time the length of aggressive play. (At least 5 secs to class as aggressive/ can compare times.

Experimental: number of phobias increases with amount of tv they watch
Null: number of phobias not affected by amount of tv / media exposure.

you needed to have the word significant in there
Reply 23
Original post by Soph97
That sounds very much like it, doubt I have the marks :L is me saying social desirability right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I think social desirability is right but I'm not sure I think I got it wrong. I said experimenter bias but fairly sure that's validity. I also said experiment was only carried out once but don't know if they'll give credit because they said ONE and that was the 2nd :frown:
Original post by Soph97

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep 100% but for the 2 marks you needed to say SDB was an issue because it impacts internal validity.
wait a sec did you answer SDB for the confounding variable or for the issue of reliability? cause if you put it for reliability its wrong
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by savingwonderland
you needed to have the word significant in there

If you have a look at previous mark schemes (last year has the same question) you don't actually need the word significant
Has anyone got any predictions for py4
Original post by Heidi53
If you have a look at previous mark schemes (last year has the same question) you don't actually need the word significant

legit looking at mark schemes currently that all have the word significant in...
Original post by jellygeorgia
Has anyone got any predictions for py4

PY4 is nearly impossible to predict. My teacher pointed out that eyewitness testimony is the only essay that hasnt ever come up but all its a dangerous game to predict essays and only focus on those cause it's only a 1/5 that the one you think will come up actually will
Reply 29
legit looking at mark schemes currently that all have the word significant in...

2015 question: state an appropriate directional hypothesis for this study
Mark scheme for 2/2 marks: Appropriate directional hypothesis stated, e.g. the passer- by will not return the mobile phone if the person is rude
Original post by Heidi53
2015 question: state an appropriate directional hypothesis for this study
Mark scheme for 2/2 marks: Appropriate directional hypothesis stated, e.g. the passer- by will not return the mobile phone if the person is rude

Another mark scheme: Significantly more/less negative thoughts will be experienced in the morning compared to other time of the day.

Reality is it'll depend on whether you have a strict marker or not, my teacher is a very strict marker who marks for WJEC so she taught us what strict markers will mark you down for so we could avoid it
Reply 31
Another mark scheme: Significantly more/less negative thoughts will be experienced in the morning compared to other time of the day.

Reality is it'll depend on whether you have a strict marker or not, my teacher is a very strict marker who marks for WJEC so she taught us what strict markers will mark you down for so we could avoid it

Fair enough, hopefully they'll be nice then but looking at previous mark schemes I'm still feeling ok
Original post by Heidi53
Fair enough, hopefully they'll be nice then but looking at previous mark schemes I'm still feeling ok

even if it is a strict marker, losing 1 out of 80 marks isn't gonna hurt your overall grade
Reply 33
even if it is a strict marker, losing 1 out of 80 marks isn't gonna hurt your overall grade

Exactly what I was thinking. Boundaries seem quite low too last year you only needed 59/80 so I think I can afford the odd slip up!
Original post by AlteredBoy
How did everyone find PY3? I thought it was really easy, finished in 50 minutes, checked over everything and got told off by an invigilator who thought I'd given up :/

my predictions for section c essays were EXACTLY on point. chuffed with that was about thrown off by non-participant observation though the first question on section c
As for PY4, I am playing a prediction game myself as I have used the 2012 to 2015 questions and tried working out the ones that have not come up and work up to the ones that pretty much that have appeared.

It is quite a risky game, but tbf, going from the essays that haven't come up to the ones that did come up but on odd occasions is quite a logical step forward, in terms of prediction.

Only going to be learning 12 essays, 3 each for Controversies, LoC, Forensics and Abnormality.
Reply 36
I acc don't know about the non participant observation as we weren't taught it, my guess was where the participants aren't aware that they're part of a study and where the researcher doesn't attempt to change any part of the situation and simply observes behaviour.
why was no one taught non-participant observation it's actually on the specification?
Original post by User2334541
As for PY4, I am playing a prediction game myself as I have used the 2012 to 2015 questions and tried working out the ones that have not come up and work up to the ones that pretty much that have appeared.

It is quite a risky game, but tbf, going from the essays that haven't come up to the ones that did come up but on odd occasions is quite a logical step forward, in terms of prediction.

Only going to be learning 12 essays, 3 each for Controversies, LoC, Forensics and Abnormality.

what if none of the 12 essays you've learned come up? after all they only give you one essay for each of forensics and abnormality (not sure what LoC is, im doing controversies, relationships, forensics and abnormality)
I'm worrying about the py3 exam, for non participant observation for an advantage I said objective and neutral, for disadvantage i said social desirability bias, for the issue of reliability I said that the measuring tool for aggressive behaviour may not be consistent, for the confounding variable in section b I said the envrionemtn where the questionnaire is answered could influence the behaviour and affect the validity(situational variable) for the experimental hypothesis I said 'there will be a difference between how many horror films a participant watched and the development of a phobia' and the null I said 'there will not be a difference between how many horror films a participant watches and the development of a phobia.' can someone give me feedback on these answers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending