The Student Room Group

Netflix for books?

Do any fellow bibliophiles know of any good e-book subscription sites? I've had a look at Scribd which looks okay, though there doesn't seem to as much 'proper literature' as I'd like.

I've downloaded lots of free, out-of-copyright ebooks of classic works from Project Gutenburg, and I'm now looking for a site which allows me to read contemporary literary fiction (the type of stuff in the pages of the LRB or the Guardian) without having to pay 8 pounds everytime I download a book. I'm happy to pay a few pounds a month if that allows me access to several books. I've also signed up to the ebook collection of my local library, but again the collection is relatively limited.

Any ideas? :smile:
... Libraries?
You can try wattpad but it also includes amateur writers but it's free 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by MildredMalone
... Libraries?

As I say above, I've also signed up to the ebook collection of my local library, but again the collection is relatively limited.

I'm specifically looking for e-books, and as far as I'm aware one can only sign up to one's local library..
Reply 4
Original post by hideNfreak
You can try wattpad but it also includes amateur writers but it's free 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I'll check it out!
Reply 5
You could also try amazon unlimited, it's got a pretty broad range of books and the first month is free, after that it's 8 pounds a month
Reply 6
Original post by Charly.m
You could also try amazon unlimited, it's got a pretty broad range of books and the first month is free, after that it's 8 pounds a month

Thanks for the responses! :smile:

Scribd looked amazing but just realised it doesn't support Kobo..
Reply 7
Original post by *Supernova*
Do any fellow bibliophiles know of any good e-book subscription sites? I've had a look at Scribd which looks okay, though there doesn't seem to as much 'proper literature' as I'd like.

I've downloaded lots of free, out-of-copyright ebooks of classic works from Project Gutenburg, and I'm now looking for a site which allows me to read contemporary literary fiction (the type of stuff in the pages of the LRB or the Guardian) without having to pay 8 pounds everytime I download a book. I'm happy to pay a few pounds a month if that allows me access to several books. I've also signed up to the ebook collection of my local library, but again the collection is relatively limited.

Any ideas? :smile:

If you really want to get into reading, get a kindle, since I have gotten mine, I haven't stopped reading since, makes things so much easier.

Quick Reply