Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting healthy without losing weight?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Probably a daft question

I am a healthy weight and genuinely do like what I look like, and feel like if I lose more than a pound or two id be devastated, as it would start to physically show. It took me a long time to start liking myself, and I don't want to start at 0 again. At the same time I'm aware I am not the healthiest person alive, considering I have little muscle and my diet could be considered poor.

So the logical thing to do in this case would be to do some cardio so I can actually run for more than five minutes, but this would likely cause me to lose weight. I'd join a gym to gain muscle for what I might lose in fat, but honestly I can't afford to join one, and even if I did I probably wouldn't have the patience for weights. Could also change my crap diet -- but I'd lose weight yet again probably

Basically, can someone help me get my life in order because I genuinely can't decide what to do

You will not put on weight if you eat what we call maintenance calories. Thats the amount of calories your body will use in a day, no more and no less.

Getting fit is about exercise. Cardio will help heart, lungs and endurance. Weights will help strength and body shape. You should do both. You need to do a lot of execise to lose weight by exercise alone, so I wouldnt be too worried about losing. You can easily replace or keep in check the calories lost by eating calorie dense foods if you cant or dont wnat to eat more.

If you wont join a gym, then you cna start with walking or maybe something like couch to 5k.
    If you cant do gym, then you can use fitness blender or nerd fitness

You miight wnat to look at a more nutritious diet. Am sue the others will be along sooner to give you some advice.

If you don't try to lose weight you probably won't. Plenty of people struggle to lose weight as they start going to the gym as doing exercise increases your appetite and if you're not super fit that can mean you burn 200 calories and go home and eat cake worth 500 afterwards! Listen to your body and expect to eat a bit more. If you feel like you've lost weight or look slimmer (as you may look smaller without losing weight if you decrease your body fat and increase muscle) just eat a bit more and it will soon come back if you stay on top of it. I exercise loads and I'm not skinny or losing weight because I eat enough to balance it out.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.