The Student Room Group

Tips for getting a summer job?

I want to get a part-time job over the summer to earn a bit of money before uni and occupy my time, something in retail or wherever will accept me.

The only problem is when I applied for jobs last year I didn't hear back from any of them, and I think it's because I lack retail experience. Maybe my CV sucks? I illustrated all the relevant skills like teamwork and reliability with examples but I think the problem is lack of experience.

How does one obtain a retail job without experience if you need experience to get experience? :hmmmm2:

Also I failed the aptitude test for Asda so I guess there's no hope for me :biggrin: How do you pass those online aptitude tests? I put the answers I thought they wanted to hear on one of them and failed, then put my honest answers on another and failed that, too :biggrin:
I would say try going to restaurants/cafes/whatever directly, do not send them your CV, hand it in person. To pull it off you need to look really good and have your manners at the best. So dress sharp, make yourself look neat, I mean clean shave (if you are a male), get a haircut and so on (you get it). When you send your CV you are just a random person of whom they have no opinion yet. Then if you go to talk in person and nail it you will leave good impression, show that you are not scared of approaching people and will therefore increase your chances to get that job you need. That is what have worked for me, I hope it will work for you as well
Reply 2
I got fired from asda bc i dropped some yogurt
Reply 3
Original post by Hungry Student
I would say try going to restaurants/cafes/whatever directly, do not send them your CV, hand it in person. To pull it off you need to look really good and have your manners at the best. So dress sharp, make yourself look neat, I mean clean shave (if you are a male), get a haircut and so on (you get it). When you send your CV you are just a random person of whom they have no opinion yet. Then if you go to talk in person and nail it you will leave good impression, show that you are not scared of approaching people and will therefore increase your chances to get that job you need. That is what have worked for me, I hope it will work for you as well

I handed in my CV in person last year to a few places, but none of them got back to me... :biggrin: I'm not a scruffy person and I'm quite well spoken, so :')
Thank you for the advice, though! I'll just keep trying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending