Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Serious question about my future (Career and University)

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

So I've recently been given an unconditional offer for Derby University for film production, I'm ecstatic and over the moon.

Working on films, making them, working on sets is my calling, I know for a solid fact I want to do this for the rest of my life. I love the media industry.

My unconditional allows for 3 years studying film production, and experience within the industry.

Here's the thing.

My Media A-level is going extremely well, I'm certain I will pass with a high grade,

My IT Exams will be U/D because it seriously makes me depressed I hated that whole subject and flunked the exams. this much I've just accepted.

And now I'm here stressing over psychology revision and exams. I have a keen interest in psychology but nothing major and I am not certain I will pass at all.

So my question is this (finally):

Should i really be fussed about my IT and Psychology results knowing that my media will do well and that I've already got into Uni to do something I adore.

Do I really need those qualifications to work on film sets? I've been told it's all about experience and that even the degree i'm studying is more helpful as experience rather than the degree actually being an incentive for employers to hire you.

TL;DR I'm certain I know what I want to do I've never wanted to do anything else, but does this allow me to take it easy with subjects I won't ever do again?

Thank you!

I don't think you should be stressing about your A levels because as you say, you already have your place at university confirmed. But you should still sit the exams because A levels (and UCAS points) are sometimes used by employers to filter applicants. It isn’t the end of the world if you don't get good grades in ICT and Psychology, but getting the qualification is important.

If its unconditional no point stressing. If it were me itb would be a point of pride to do as well as I could.

You guys have summed it up really well - if your offer is definitely Unconditional, then really well done! You have a place there whatever happens, and so it takes the stress and pressure off your A Levels - it is worth double checking though before you make any life-changing decisions about completing your courses or the effort you out in. It is also worth bearing in mind that there may well be bits of knowledge or information that will be useful in your degree, and by covering it earlier you may be at an advantage...

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)

As others have said it makes sense not to worry when you already have your offer confirmed. However at the same time you have nothing to really lose by trying to do well, providing it doesn't stress you out.

When applying for a job you may one day find that you're identical to another candidate and the only thing setting you apart is that you have a few good A Levels in alternative subjects like IT and Psychology, making you a bit more well rounded.

The way I see it is you don't gain anything by not bothering with them. It's still free education and you might as well get the most out of it. If your grades suck, that's fine. But if you do well it's another little thing that makes you look good. And sometimes those little things are what sway a decision. Not to mention you may one day find yourself utilising those A Levels in some way, even if you see no reason to use them at the moment.

Basically don't stress over them but don't throw them away. Try to do as well as possible, if nothing else to show you have commitment.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.