The Student Room Group

Is anyone else doing the AQA AS ICT exam tomorrow?

I know there is already a thread further down but it doesn't seem like many people are doing this exam. I just wanted to see if anyone else here is doing it and what their thoughts are. Is it likely questions will be repeated as the wording can be quite hard to understand for some of the questions.

And also how do you structure the 12 and 20 mark questions?
I'm doing this exam - not really sure how I feel because I haven't revised much at all - too busy studying for A2's :frown:

Are you resitting or is it your first attempt?

For the 12 and 20 markers I'm terrible at writing long answers, but I've recently started to stop overlooking the parts of the questions that appear to be irrelevant and have been making sure I take EVERYTHING that the question mentions into account when planning my answer.

Usually for 20 markers I do a table which has a column/row for each thing mentioned in the question with a pro/con ...or something like that depending on the question.

Most 20 markers are the same and involve just knowing all of the hardware, software and processes etc. suitable for different types of businesses so maybe a table with hardware, software and processes etc.

12 markers I usually try to identify 3 or 4 different parts to the question or points to make and then distribute the marks evenly between them, I find this makes it easier to manage but is also probably incredibly obvious for other people.

Major problems with the AQA ICT course with how vague the questions are which then continues in the mark schemes which either are the same copy and pasted table or the most random string of answers with marks being awarded for ridiculous things! really quite worries me when it comes to the exams being marked - last year me and my friend both got C's after supposedly getting A's all year round - she got hers remarked and it went up to a strong B, I still regret not getting it remarked haha!
Reply 2
Original post by willfmair
I'm doing this exam - not really sure how I feel because I haven't revised much at all - too busy studying for A2's :frown:

Are you resitting or is it your first attempt?

For the 12 and 20 markers I'm terrible at writing long answers, but I've recently started to stop overlooking the parts of the questions that appear to be irrelevant and have been making sure I take EVERYTHING that the question mentions into account when planning my answer.

Usually for 20 markers I do a table which has a column/row for each thing mentioned in the question with a pro/con ...or something like that depending on the question.

Most 20 markers are the same and involve just knowing all of the hardware, software and processes etc. suitable for different types of businesses so maybe a table with hardware, software and processes etc.

12 markers I usually try to identify 3 or 4 different parts to the question or points to make and then distribute the marks evenly between them, I find this makes it easier to manage but is also probably incredibly obvious for other people.

Major problems with the AQA ICT course with how vague the questions are which then continues in the mark schemes which either are the same copy and pasted table or the most random string of answers with marks being awarded for ridiculous things! really quite worries me when it comes to the exams being marked - last year me and my friend both got C's after supposedly getting A's all year round - she got hers remarked and it went up to a strong B, I still regret not getting it remarked haha!

Hi, i'm in year 12 so its only my first attempt but it seems like a lot of people. Pretty much the whole year 13 class here is re taking too. Is it common for ICT?

Thanks for the advice on the question. Also one more question will the main things we are tested on be health and safety, input, output, storage and software as well as the coursework questions? Those topics are what i've made notes on so im hoping its enough.

Good luck with this and your other exams :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending