The Student Room Group

a level/ BTEC IT

I want to do computer networking in Uni, I failed my a levels which were sciences based , so want to change up my a level subjects , but i really don't want to fail again ,do you think if take btec will it be easier (as i was good a course worked based subjects in gcses) or will damaged my reputation , also I've checked the unis i want and they aren't russell group uni or even in the top 30
Reply 1
most Unis still want maths. I want to do CS and don't have maths and i think in the top 100 there is only 5 I can go to, so i would recommend taking maths if re-sitting. But, you don't have to do uni. My step-sister is a programmer in London and is so amazing at her job but she doesn't even have a GCSE in maths so it really depends on what you want to do.
Original post by algerianstar23
I want to do computer networking in Uni, I failed my a levels which were sciences based , so want to change up my a level subjects , but i really don't want to fail again ,do you think if take btec will it be easier (as i was good a course worked based subjects in gcses) or will damaged my reputation , also I've checked the unis i want and they aren't russell group uni or even in the top 30

will make it better. it wont damage your rep
Original post by Samonia
most Unis still want maths. I want to do CS and don't have maths and i think in the top 100 there is only 5 I can go to, so i would recommend taking maths if re-sitting. But, you don't have to do uni. My step-sister is a programmer in London and is so amazing at her job but she doesn't even have a GCSE in maths so it really depends on what you want to do.

Thanks for the suggestion, I know for CS you need maths , but for Computer networking it isn't compulsory
Reply 4
Original post by algerianstar23
Thanks for the suggestion, I know for CS you need maths , but for Computer networking it isn't compulsory

Ah okay cool :smile: Sorry i miss read your original post. Exams are taking their toll on me :P
As long as you achieved B or above in GCSE maths & english you should be fine with doing BTEC ICT.
Most unis require DDD which is superb easy to get.
D*D*D* is not even problem at all with those piss easy units. Russell Group is just a name. They receive higher research funding that's all.
There are unis such as Royal Holloway (my choice) which is quite a small uni. Still in the UK's TOP 10 research leading universities.
imo rankings don't mean that much as you may expect them too (of course I have not even started uni yet). Uni of Lancaster is apparently 7th in the UK and they require DDD to be accepted for Computer Science. That's piss easy to achieve! In reality it's only the top3 (cambridge, imperial & oxford) which are keeping their place and can be realistically considered TOP.
Original post by ICEN_Prophet
As long as you achieved B or above in GCSE maths & english you should be fine with doing BTEC ICT.
Most unis require DDD which is superb easy to get.
D*D*D* is not even problem at all with those piss easy units. Russell Group is just a name. They receive higher research funding that's all.
There are unis such as Royal Holloway (my choice) which is quite a small uni. Still in the UK's TOP 10 research leading universities.
imo rankings don't mean that much as you may expect them too (of course I have not even started uni yet). Uni of Lancaster is apparently 7th in the UK and they require DDD to be accepted for Computer Science. That's piss easy to achieve! In reality it's only the top3 (cambridge, imperial & oxford) which are keeping their place and can be realistically considered TOP.

I have B in Gcse English , but not maths, most and maybe all unis that do COMPUTER NETWORKING , say you need C and above
Ask to redo your GCSE maths in College while taking your course. I know that some say C but B is definitely better for such course which is based upon maths. Good luck with your final decision
Reply 8
Original post by Samonia

Are you joking? its only really the top 10-15 that actually require maths a level including most Russell groups

I go to a top 20 uni and am in my second year of my MSci Computer Science degree and i got in without A level Maths, i actually did the BTEC in IT that the OP is considering
Original post by yt7777
Are you joking? its only really the top 10-15 that actually require maths a level including most Russell groups

I go to a top 20 uni and am in my second year of my MSci Computer Science degree and i got in without A level Maths, i actually did the BTEC in IT that the OP is considering

if you don't mind what did u achieve in that IT btec, which is a level 3 i assume , and what was the ucas entry tariff for the ini you got into
Reply 10
Yeqh the Level 3 BTEC Extended I got D*D*D* but my offer was DDD, the higher unis will make offers for specific grades rather than UCAS points

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending