The Student Room Group

Drinking age in Austria?

Hi guys - I'm heading off to Austria this year (I'm 17) with a school group. Obviously the staff in charge will have some control over the ~activities~ we partake in, but purely out of curiosity, what are the drinking/smoking ages in Austria?

I have Googled this, but I've come up with slightly conflicting/confusing answers - anyone with first-hand knowledge?

*Disclaimer: I'm not saying I will be drinking, just wondering about the actual legalities surrounding stuff that my friends may or may not do :smile:*
Reply 1
Original post by alaskayounglives
Hi guys - I'm heading off to Austria this year (I'm 17) with a school group. Obviously the staff in charge will have some control over the ~activities~ we partake in, but purely out of curiosity, what are the drinking/smoking ages in Austria?

I have Googled this, but I've come up with slightly conflicting/confusing answers - anyone with first-hand knowledge?

*Disclaimer: I'm not saying I will be drinking, just wondering about the actual legalities surrounding stuff that my friends may or may not do :smile:*

As far as I know it's 16 for drinking? I went on holiday there in February 2008 and I was turning 16 two months later and they let me drink Peach Schnapps over there :tongue:

Oh and it's a very pretty country so you're in for a treat ^^
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by alaskayounglives

Hey:smile: Beer, wine and stuff like that is allowed from the age of 16 everywhere. Hard liquor is technically allowed at 18 in some areas but it's not that strict most of the time. (not that I ever tried :wink: ) It really depends on where you're going to though, in Vienna drinking alcohol and smoking is allowed at 16.
Original post by Deyesy
As far as I know it's 16 for drinking? I went on holiday there in February 2008 and I was turning 16 two months later and they let me drink Peach Schnapps over there :tongue:

Nice! Cheers dude! :thumbsup:
Original post by Charly.m
Hey:smile: Beer, wine and stuff like that is allowed from the age of 16 everywhere. Hard liquor is technically allowed at 18 in some areas but it's not that strict most of the time. (not that I ever tried :wink: ) It really depends on where you're going to though, in Vienna drinking alcohol and smoking is allowed at 16.

Thank you! That's super useful :biggrin:
Reply 5
would they sell a 16 year old a box of beer in a super market with proof of age?
👌🏻

Quick Reply

Latest