The Student Room Group

Msc Real Estate(choose between Reading and UCL)

Hi

The is my fisrt post, i have found out this forum by chance!

I am an international student, just completed my undergraduate study in Business Property Mangment.

As i want to countine my acedamice study in a master degree, I have applied serveral universities But i have been hesitating in making a final decision between University of Reading(Msc Real Estate) and UCL(International Real Estate & Planning)

Here are the website of these two courses
UCL
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught/degrees/international-real-estate-planning-msc

Reading
https://www.henley.ac.uk/postgraduate/course/msc-real-estate/#course-content

UCL obviously has a better overall reputation while Reading is in the leading place in Real Estate cources.

Could anyone clear up my mind for a decent choice. I thank you for helping me in advance.

Regards
Tank.
Hi Tank,

The following post by a current MSc student at Reading might help a bit: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3899103

You might also like to check-out some of my other posts about studying real estate and planning at Reading. I'm pro-Reading of course....but I did study at the Bartlett and have been an External Examiner there!

Joe Doak,
School of Real Estate & Planning,
University of Reading

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you been able to visit either of the places? UCL is in the central part of London, nice but very very busy and accomodation will be ridiculously expensive.
I have friends who went to reading and they enjoyed it a lot, and same with UCL. Henley is an absolutely lovely place to live! Its considerably smaller than London, and every year hosts the Henley Regatta, so its not some boring place. It is a bit outside of actual Reading though, but has everything you need (i.e. shops and the like).

Judging by the fact Reading is better with those types of courses, you'll probably benefit more from going there, as the teaching may be better. If possible and you haven't, try and visit both places and see what you prefer! Sorry I can't be of more help :smile:
Original post by Gapyearstudent54
Have you been able to visit either of the places? UCL is in the central part of London, nice but very very busy and accomodation will be ridiculously expensive.
I have friends who went to reading and they enjoyed it a lot, and same with UCL. Henley is an absolutely lovely place to live! Its considerably smaller than London, and every year hosts the Henley Regatta, so its not some boring place. It is a bit outside of actual Reading though, but has everything you need (i.e. shops and the like).

Judging by the fact Reading is better with those types of courses, you'll probably benefit more from going there, as the teaching may be better. If possible and you haven't, try and visit both places and see what you prefer! Sorry I can't be of more help :smile:

Yes, agree with your advice about visiting both universities to check 'the feel' of each place. However, also need to point out that the MSc Real Estate programmes, and all other non-executive education courses delivered by Henley Business School, are taught at the Whiteknights Campus in Reading.

Joe Doak
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by klsdoakj
Yes, agree with your advice about visiting both universities to check 'the feel' of each place. However, also need to point out that the MSc Real Estate programmes, and all other non-executive education courses delivered by Henley Business School, are taught at the Whiteknights Campus in Reading.

Joe Doak

Sry for the delay of this reply!
Thank you very much for the advice. Yes i have visited UCL in London but didnt make the chance to Reading. UCL feels like "an old heritage building in the heart of a modern city."

As an international student, i still can not decide which is more important when it comes to employment. Is it the overall reputation of a university or the course content? For european students i think they may probably choose Reading for its european well known reputation.

My prospects in employment are working in a international real estate company in my country:China as part of the management team of business properties.
Reply 5
Original post by klsdoakj
Hi Tank,

The following post by a current MSc student at Reading might help a bit: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3899103

You might also like to check-out some of my other posts about studying real estate and planning at Reading. I'm pro-Reading of course....but I did study at the Bartlett and have been an External Examiner there!

Joe Doak,
School of Real Estate & Planning,
University of Reading

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Joe

Thank you for replying my messeage so quickly!
It will be fun staying in either London or Reading but i want to make sure which course will be better for my future employment since generally Reading is not that well known compared with UCL but Reading's course in Real Estate lead the marketplace in the UK.
Final (?!) bit of 'marketing' by me on this: remember that the real estate and planning programmes at Reading are embedded within the Henley Business School, which has its own international reputation. Indeed, Henley has been listed as one of the top 200 'super brands' in the annual survey of a international business leaders. Our real estate and planning students have benefited from the bespoke package of careers support, business linkages, international networking opportunities, quality physical space and national/international student activities provided at Henley Business School. Our graduates leave with two distinct and prominent 'reputational hats' on their heads: realestate@reading and business@henley!

https://youtu.be/WnIDlCcN0YQ
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply