The Student Room Group

GCSE English Vocabulary and Sentence Structure

I have noticed when reading A* essays, the students all have a similar style throughout their essay which makes it sound of a high standard. They also use appropriate vocabulary.

I am wondering how do you learn a range of vocabulary and switch old boring words for more impressive ones. I think these would improve my writing massively but I don't know where to look for the words which are a must to use.

Anyone who's good at writing with a range of vocabulary can please advice me some ways of improving and developing in that area.

Furthermore is there a certain way you should structure your sentence, for example, complex compound sentences? If anyone has any examples of their A* or A word that would love to share and give advice would be really appreciated.
Original post by Daydreamer3
I have noticed when reading A* essays, the students all have a similar style throughout their essay which makes it sound of a high standard. They also use appropriate vocabulary.

I am wondering how do you learn a range of vocabulary and switch old boring words for more impressive ones. I think these would improve my writing massively but I don't know where to look for the words which are a must to use.

Anyone who's good at writing with a range of vocabulary can please advice me some ways of improving and developing in that area.

Furthermore is there a certain way you should structure your sentence, for example, complex compound sentences? If anyone has any examples of their A* or A word that would love to share and give advice would be really appreciated.

There's no point, its more acquired rather than anything, not something you can simply memorise a few hours before the exam.
Reply 2
Some ways are:
- flicking through a thesaurus or dictionary
- reading a good book
- watching a good news channel
:smile:
Good Luck with everything :smile:
I have been told to read books and newspapers which should help expand your vocabulary.
You should always try and get a range of sentence lengths and punctuation for effect - you should aim to have parenthetic asides using both dashes, commas and brackets alternating throughout. You should use more complex, compound as well as simple sentences, but only for effect or to add more detail rather than being forced into your essay. Just make sure your sentence structure is varied (i.e maybe one-word sentences)

In terms of your vocabulary, just throw in a few synonyms here and there, and have a list of a* vocabulary stored in your head.One I like to use is sullied.

There's some good vocabulary choices here http://www.world-english.org/improve_vocabulary.htm
Original post by 1jonam16
There's no point, its more acquired rather than anything, not something you can simply memorise a few hours before the exam.

I am in year 10, therefore, I do have enough time to go through this procedure of learning vocabulary and structure :smile:
Original post by PATDLOL
Some ways are:
- flicking through a thesaurus or dictionary
- reading a good book
- watching a good news channel
:smile:
Good Luck with everything :smile:

Oh thank you, have you got any recommendations of books that would be intriguing to read as well as expanding my vocabulary? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Daydreamer3
Oh thank you, have you got any recommendations of books that would be intriguing to read as well as expanding my vocabulary? :smile:

Here are some, I hope you like them and they help you;
- The Book Thief
- A Thousand Splendid Suns
- The Kite Runner
- Life of Pi
Original post by PATDLOL
Here are some, I hope you like them and they help you;
- The Book Thief
- A Thousand Splendid Suns
- The Kite Runner
- Life of Pi

Oh wow, I have done some research on these books and I do say I think these books would be immensely intriguing to read and also expand my vocabulary.

Thank you for the help :smile:
Bumppp!!....
Anyone else would like to contribute their thoughts? :smile:
Your school should provide you with guides on writing styles and punctuation and vocabulary which will help you, but reading on your own will ensure that the knowledge sticks.
Original post by Neuroximum#1
Your school should provide you with guides on writing styles and punctuation and vocabulary which will help you, but reading on your own will ensure that the knowledge sticks.

lol i dont think hes doing gcses anymore mate
Original post by Josh827
lol i dont think hes doing gcses anymore mate

True, but it should still help others who refer to the comment.
Read read read!!! This is the best way to expand your vocabulary properly. Read books, newspapers etc and also use a thesaurus. When writing my essays for GCSE and A Level I constantly referred to a thesaurus to improve my sentences and some words will stick in your memory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending