Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Studying Medicine (Dilemma?)

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

Okay, so a few years ago I decided that at university I wanted to study Physics. I've always loved science and maths and all that stuff so I thought it would be a super cool route to take and therefore started pursuing these kind of career paths.

I completed my GCSE's; I got 4 A*s, 8 As and 2 Bs.
    I decided to take Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths at AS Level.

I am now approaching the end of Year 12 and have therefore been thinking about University courses more recently, and have started seriously doubting my decision to study Physics. Even though I really like it, I don't think that I will be able to progress as it is something that I do find very challenging and don't think it naturally suits me very well. I am also someone who needs to have a job involving lots of human interaction as I am a real people person.
    I think that studying medicine would be absolutely incredible and I believe that I would really enjoy it and would work extremely hard however, I am aware that compared to a lot of other people applying to take Medicine, I may have made this decision very late.
    Whilst looking at courses I see that a lot of universities like applicants to have taken Biology to at least AS Level (if not A Level) and I completely understand why. This means that I would be lacking on this part of my application. Also my GCSE grades would drag me down as I know they're not as high as many of the people I would be against during the application process.

I wanted to know peoples thoughts on my whole situation.

I was considering maybe dropping further maths at A Level and studying Biology in my own time(?)

If anyone has any advice or information or tips or questions, please help me out.

Well, there are a few things you could do here,
    You could do AS biology when you start year 13 because some universities allow you to only have biology at AS level, so you could get away with it.
    You could continue with your A levels now and apply for physics or whatever, and perhaps apply to Medicine as a postgraduate??
    You could take a gap year, this way you can get all the relevant work experience, voluntary placements etc, done in a year so you have something medical related to put on your personal statement.
    Personally I would do Bio as an AS level in year 13, if that is possible with your school, or take a gap year to sort everything out.
    Hope this helps, and good luck with everything
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.